plainer/ paver machine ?

Discuss pavers, rollers, mills and other paving equipment here

Topic author
70's steve
Flag: Great Britain

plainer/ paver machine ?

Post #1 by 70's steve » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:42 pm

hi all,
question from my dad , but does anyone remember from the late 70's early 80's , a plainer, paving machine that dd the lot in 1 go ? :dizzy: ie plained / burnt off , recycled the material and relaid it back ,all in 1 hit ? my dad recalls that the 1 he remembers , was owned by Assccaited Asphalt at that time , be ineterested to hear / see , stories / pictures if anyone recalls them , :)
thank you

v8detroit
Flag: Ireland

Re: plainer/ paver machine ?

Post #2 by v8detroit » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:59 pm

70's steve wrote:hi all,
question from my dad , but does anyone remember from the late 70's early 80's , a plainer, paving machine that dd the lot in 1 go ? :dizzy: ie plained / burnt off , recycled the material and relaid it back ,all in 1 hit ? my dad recalls that the 1 he remembers , was owned by Assccaited Asphalt at that time , be ineterested to hear / see , stories / pictures if anyone recalls them , :)
thank you

hi Steve when i was in vegas last year seen a writgen w2200 with a screed on the back it planed and relaid material it was massive but had
no elavator on front.
Last edited by v8detroit on Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Fletcher1970

Post #3 by Ian Fletcher1970 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:22 pm

Hi Steve,
Please see attached brochure scan from a Marini Hot - in situ recycler, although this operates on an already planed windrow, remixes it and feeds back into a paver. I don't believe they are used in the UK. See also links to the Wirtgen hot recycler and Colas Repave system.

http://www.wirtgen.de/en/produkte/heissrecycler/Produkttabelle_Heissrecycler.html

http://www.wirtgen.de/en/aktuelles_und_presse/videos/videos_heissrecycler/heissrecycler_detail_86.html

http://www.colas.co.uk/colas-detail-page.asp?pageId=214

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf88DU3omfg&p=11AA696B32152AB0&playnext=1&index=71

All the best

Ian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #4 by FOWLER MAN » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:47 am

Hi Ian
Thank you for a most informative post, great videos.
Fred

mick h

Post #5 by mick h » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:11 pm

hi
colas used to have a machine that reheated the old surface and spread a layer of asphalt on top. it was moved from site to site dismantled and the built up on site. it was a large long machine that was very unreliable. i remember them resurfacing the a614 near nottingham about 20 years ago.
regards mick.

Hutch

Post #6 by Hutch » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:11 pm

Hi
The only one I have heard of was from an ex colas surface dressing crew who had seen one of these while working in europe.From memory I think it was a Wirtgen machine and they mentioned it was in Italy.The whole road would be closed and this machine would recycle the old road suface.Bomag tried to intoduce their road recyclers in the mid eighties into the UK with a company called Road Recycling using one.The process involved planing off the old surface,mixing the planings with bitumen and dust and spreading out the mix back onto the road as a base coarse but did not use a screed and had more in common with soil stabilisation methods as the machine used was very similar to a stabilisation machine.When Tarmac took over Johnston surface dressing and they had a CMI soil stabiliser that they used for road recycling

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #7 by FOWLER MAN » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:54 pm

Hi All,
This one-pass planer / paver is run by my nephew in Qld. Austrailia.
Fred
services_03_1.jpg
projects_04.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

neilc

Post #8 by neilc » Sat May 19, 2012 9:54 pm

70's steve wrote:hi all,
thank you

Hello Steve, around 1986 I was subbing to Associated Asphalt's Henley depot and working on the Wallingford Bypass, Oxfordshire, but for around a week we were sent to back up the legend that was John Devine on AA's job on the M25 at Dartford, I think Jn 1-2, Peter Birse were the main contractor. I'm sure the machine you talk of was on this site but we never saw it work while we were there but its size really did put everything else in the shade. Regards neilc

Topic author
70's steve

Post #9 by 70's steve » Sun May 20, 2012 7:07 pm

hi neil ,
yep me dad knew john devine , last time he saw him and he's boy, was up on the A1 stevenage nightwork back in the early 90's , but be good to see any piccies of this machine if anyone took any , but thanks again neil

Return to “Paving Equipment”