Blaw Knox Pavers

Discuss pavers, rollers, mills and other paving equipment here

70's steve
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Blaw Knox Pavers

Post #471 by 70's steve » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:49 pm

Hi ray .
Welcome and great pictures more the merrier , keep em coming !
Here's another one from tarmac fb page
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

widget

Post #472 by widget » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:41 pm

Hi Ray
Great pictures......when machine operating was an art :thumbup:
I want to rust out not wear out

widget

Post #473 by widget » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:51 pm

Hi Chaps
I hear on the grapevine that hot roll and chips is making a come back........there may be a use for us old goats yet, to teach these pups who only know about SMA and MTA....... :lol:
I want to rust out not wear out

neilc

Post #474 by neilc » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:56 am

tarmac wrote:
widget wrote:
tarmac wrote:Try again .......I worked at Old Cliffe Hill then Stud Farm, 87 onwards, remember Malc in his Ford Cargo with all those models, John Harris too when he was based at Tarmac Ampthill too (I was in the lab their too when it opened) Any one remember "Cobblers" from Northampton, who did the NDM Gauge work ? Happy memories of Tarmac Corby too.....26 years later, still with Tarmac, in National Contracting at Ettingshall.....

Hi Andy.....Part of the old Ampthill mob :wave: (pic below)

I can remember surfacing some of the site when it was new back in the mid 80's. long time ago now,I think it was next to a scrap yard :think:

I can only remember two NDM guys, but not there names. One of them looked like Mick Hucknell from simply red and the other looked like Christopher biggins :lol:

Long old shift 26 years :dizzy:

Steve......I have had a nose on the facebook page........some good stuff :thumbup:
I even saw a couple of pics of a good looking young chap on his trusty machine :think: the dates are wrong tho..m40 1993.....it was1987ish :lol:

Hello all , hope you are all well, apologies for lack of input lately, I seem to spend more time working away from home now than I did years ago. Hello Andy , yes I do remember the fanatical Cobblers fan for the life of me I can't remember his name ,nice fellow as I recall ,I was shocked to hear he was no longer with Tarmacs although I know why.Good job they didn't see some of the things we got up to they would have had a blue fit ! .There was another Northampton lad in the testing department by the name of Mick Fox? ,he seemed to cover the new Tamworth bypass which Tarmac Roadstone was surfacing at the time and where the wearing course would be the new fangled S M A drain asphalt as opposed to time honoured and tested Hot Rolled Asphalt with high P S V chips ,that would be around 1992/93 was it called TUFF GRIP ,I can't recall .I can remember a lot of the owner drivers down at Tarmacs Ampthill and still see one former Tarmacs Ampthill owner driver who now drives an eight wheeler in conjunction with Hansons Bedfordshire Resurfacing Contract. The Ampthill Batching Plant site is now occupied by a site accommodation co .I have been working for Terry Vass and Ampthill Scrap Metals for a number of years now ,small world ! Malc is now semi retired but still keeps his hand in at Tripod Crest Planing on low loaders.I think John Harris retired from Tarmacs on their Area eight contract at Watford Gap Depot M1 ,I know Paul Watson ex Tarmac Corby fitter kept in touch with him .As you are still with Tarmacs you might remember an old Tarmac Eastern gang formerly run by Les Bonsor? , I met him once , my father knew him very well . Then ran by Mick Sigworth now with Bardons then by Ray North ,Pik Pickering machine driver ,Mick ? (nickname ELI) roller driver Alan (bally) Ball screwman Steph ,screwman .Steve well done with the photographs ,in particular Philip Bunce with his Foden , remember him well , decent chap . The picture of the BK191 with the young blond haired lad driving could be Andy (wiffa) Smith on the A14 between Kettering and Cattorpe M1/M6 . He would be driving for Pete Bowes /Terry Coulson .At this time we had taken delivery of a new BK 191 with Cummins power plant ,with the change over to Cummins, BK fitted a chequer plate shroud over the radiator air intake which we can see in the picture to reduce noise .

jrjacko

Post #475 by jrjacko » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:25 pm

:arrrrgh: clutch knee after a long shift on those manito
widget wrote:Hi all,
The 3434B was a pretty decent machine once you got boss of it, i used to get issues with the inboard hydraulics.

The Manitool was made to be abused :lol: I think it was standard when running chips to go into the heap flat out!! and had pretty indestructible Bristol compressor.

MF30E was a good little work horse, leagues above the other two and of course the MF50E, these had a common problem with either the electric clutch button failing or the actual control lever breaking off.

Then came the JCB2cx airmaster, i think these outclassed all other machines available at the time, and i agree with Paul, what a way to turn around a faliure :thumbup:

Is the 2cx still the main machine used lads, i know it has been updated over the years.
We also used to run schaeff machines, and Kramer's which were a similar version to the 2cx but with a hydraulic breaker.

:thumbup: Richard

70's steve

Post #476 by 70's steve » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:03 am

hi all,
hope your all well gents and been working hard lol :D here's a few piccies , one from the fb group too
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

70's steve

Post #477 by 70's steve » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:05 am

And this one to

70's steve

Post #478 by 70's steve » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:59 pm

Hi all
Although not blaw knox but came across these pictures this morning on the "older trucks Facebook group" of Tilbury machine gang ,

Topic author
Ian Fletcher1970

Post #479 by Ian Fletcher1970 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:25 pm

Tilbury Road Burner for you Steve :thumbup:

70's steve

Post #480 by 70's steve » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:35 pm

Few more from tarmac fb group

Return to “Paving Equipment”