Marshall Fowler Roller

Discuss pavers, rollers, mills and other paving equipment here

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Marshall Fowler Roller

Post #1 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:44 pm

Road rollers are one of those pieces of plant that most of us don't really manage to get very close to.
Last week when I went over to have a flight in my mates microlight aircraft I thought I'd also take a few pics of a couple of bits of plant at the airfield, I'm told that the purpose of this old Marshall Fowler roller is to roll the runway grass from time to time.
Must say I have only ever seen the grass grow around it and it is starting to show the ravages of time in the open now.
I did not know it was a Marshall Fowler until I took the inside of the cab shots with the VIN plate in it.

Jeremy :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BulldozerD11

Re: Marshall Fowler Roller

Post #2 by BulldozerD11 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:04 am

Interesting Find Jeremy. :thumbup:

Rollers must be like busses , dont see one for ages then a load come along together.

Saw 3 rollers at Fred Knights working day and then a whole load of them at Barleylands in Essex earlier this month. There was a Fowler and several Avelings, Barfords etc a Morris :!:

But not seen a Marshall Fowler anywere that i can think of.

Dave
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #3 by FOWLER MAN » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:39 pm

Hello Jeremy
This Fowler Marshall roller looks identical inside and out to the Road Marshall I had in the early 80s.
My roller had a Lister HA3 engine, it had joy-stick steering like the one in your photos.
I worked for Eddison Plant in 1970 and they had several in their fleet, they were new then. I never saw one with Fowler on the plate. Fowler and Marshall were sister companies.

Fred

martyn williams

Post #4 by martyn williams » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:04 pm

This is my Aveling Barford 1953 roller at a show last summer.
Martyn.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Paving Equipment”