Aveling Barford

Discuss pavers, rollers, mills and other paving equipment here

Topic author
AshleyT

Aveling Barford

Post #1 by AshleyT » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:31 pm

Looking for some help & guidance.

Presently reparing an Aveling-Barford Type A Diesel (Perkins engine) roller for my cricket club.

Have Googled but cant find much - anyone able to point me in the direction of any on-line resources and spares suppliers?

martyn williams

Re: Aveling Barford

Post #2 by martyn williams » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:34 pm

What parts are you looking for? is it engine or roller parts? I have a Ford side valve engined GA roller.Made most of the bits I needed for it.
Cheers
Martyn

Topic author
AshleyT

Post #3 by AshleyT » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:22 pm

Still stripping down at the moment - so list of parts is still under construction. One that is problamtic currently is an elastomeric disc coupling between engine and final drive

Nick Drew

Post #4 by Nick Drew » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:49 pm

Hi Ashley,

Thanks for posting here at CMN...Its great to see new members having a bit of input :thumbs_up:

I find it quite strange that we have in excess of 50 members here that have never even posted one comment :dizzy:

I just dont get it :dizzy: Come on new members lets see what you have to offer here :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :lol: :lol:

Nick :thumbs_up:

martyn williams

Post #5 by martyn williams » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:53 am

Hello Ashley
I have contacts in the Road Roller Association who may be able to help on spares. Parts are hard to get hold of.Let me know what you are looking for when you are ready and will try to help.
Nick, you are right, there are a few members of this board out there with very interesting machines and stories.
I have been trying to persuade a TV company to make a "Salvage Squad" type programme,as there is huge interest in restoration projects. Could anyone suggest how we could lobby to get such a programme?
Cheers
Martyn
PS any pictures of your roller?

IBH

Post #6 by IBH » Wed May 07, 2008 9:29 pm

Save starting a new thread:

Martyn Henley
Flag: Great Britain

Post #7 by Martyn Henley » Wed May 07, 2008 9:32 pm

oh no ... dont let Martyn (b100) see this .. cant you blot out the RB

Fowler VF

Post #8 by Fowler VF » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:31 pm

Martyn

Some pics of the Aveling Barford DX that you wanted to see. Not very good, its a bit dark in the shed. This is a single horizontal cylinder, a bit like the Marshall tractors and my Fowler VF. But this is a 4 stroke, but it still has the rolled up lit paper tube for the glow plug. Engine is a Ruston Hornsby, although the casting in the block says Aveling Barford. Although its a bigger lump of a thing it is actually easier to swing than the Fowler as the compression is less. First time swinging it I kept winding the handle for ages before I realised it was running!! It really is very soft,gentle and quiet. It actually runs and behaves like a steamer. We think it is late 30's early 40's. Someone might know from the plate. Cone clutches for forward and reverse, brakes currently non existent!! Nasty moment unloading from low loader when we had it delivered. Lorry driver said previous owner had driven it up on with no bother. But first time driving a completely unknown machine should not be learnt when backing off a lorry!! We backed off gently, with a telescopic loader up behind pushing on the back end to ease it back, but once that 8 tonnes started to roll the telescopic driver panicked and shot back out of the way. Leaving me to try to keep it straight as I shot down the ramp backwards with no brakes, no idea of what lever did what and a general sense of panic. We had gathered a bit of an audience in the yard come to see the gaffer make a fool of himself, and he did! They all had to scatter and I ended up halfway across the yard with a very startled expression and a concern for the colour of the seat!

We have the canopy and it is currently in the workshop being straightened and patched.

Nick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

martyn williams

Post #9 by martyn williams » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:45 pm

Looks a good Master Pavior roller there :thumbs_up: and next to a 22RB, heaven,must not make a mess on my keyboard :lol:
The DX looks a great project.Those cone clutches can be fun if the roller has not been used for a while.My GA roller tried to mate with the downpipe on our house :lol: There a few motor rollers being restored,steam ones are an expensive hobby.
Martyn

BulldozerD11

Post #10 by BulldozerD11 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:52 am

IBH wrote:Save starting a new thread:

Hi IBH

Looks like the Vintage Excavator Trust site at Threlkeld Cumbria.

Sure I've seen that rollers sat near the mineing museum by the railway.

Looks a tidy machine against some of the stuff up there.

Dave
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

Return to “Paving Equipment”