CAT in France info required please

Discuss dozers here

Topic author
widget
Flag: Great Britain

CAT in France info required please

Post #1 by widget » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:10 pm

Hi all,
I need help please............., Today I have had a company come to carry out some testing on a project we are doing and amongst there paperwork I spied the attached photographs.
When I asked about them I was informed that it was a machine that needs restoring for a museum in France which he is going to look at next week and the only info he has at the moment is that it was used during the D Day landings, it is plated as a 1943 machine and he only has a partial serial number.
It has been a really busy day so we didnt get chance to talk for long but I will be getting further contact details, I have also given him info on the Link Club and also advised him to join CMN :bow: where Im sure he would get all the help he needs.
I will be seeing him tomorrow before they leave and get more info as it is an intriguing story............

For now can someone please tell me what model the tractor is :think:

Regards
Richard :thumbup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I want to rust out not wear out

Topic author
widget

Re: CAT in France info required please

Post #2 by widget » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:24 pm

Sorry for the rush and lack of info...........Its the Wife's birthday and I have been summoned :roll:

Topic author
widget

Post #3 by widget » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:33 pm

Could it be a D4 2T ?....serial number 2T2326
Its currently near Pegasus Bridge.
Unfortunately I didn't get to speak with the chap today as I was tied up with an offshore project inspection, so I have asked him to keep me updated via email. He said he will let me know more after he returns from France.

dpan
Flag: United States of America

Post #4 by dpan » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:10 am

Cat 7j D4 serial numbers ended in 1942, 2T serial numbers began in 1943 ended in 1945, 5T serial numbers started in 1945. Information indicates it is a 1943 tractor, could well be a 2T as is written on one photo. Is for sure a LaPlant- Choate dozer. Difficult to see push arms to determine if straight or angle dozer. My 2T9550 was ex military machine equipped with LaPlant dozer. Tractor pictured appears to have small outboard sprocket hub bearing which changed to larger bearing assembly in higher number 2T machines. Don't have any photos of original dozer on my machine, moldboard worn thru, inside filled with dirt, removed complete contraption and scrapped. Installed LeTourneau C4 angle dozer and model T pcu, which were also installed on many WWII machines.

Topic author
widget

Post #5 by widget » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:24 am

Thanks for that info Wayne, :thumbup: I new one of you guys would come up trumps.
I will pass the info on to the guy involved, he will be really grateful.
He has promised to keep me updated on his return from France so I will post any photos he sends me.
He has been told the machine was involved at the time of the D day landings and is currently near Pegasus bridge in France, and the Pegasus bridge museum wants it restoring so it can be put on display. This is going to be his first visit to find out what is exactly required and the four photos I posted is all he has to go on at the moment.

Found this Wayne, I think youve hit the nail on the head thank you :bow:
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EddC0nP7PZs[/video]

martyn williams

Post #6 by martyn williams » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:32 pm

That dozer equipment looks a bit flimsy, the Laplant Choate gear fittied to mine is pretty hefty, .J series from 1937 to 42 T series were 1943.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
widget

Post #7 by widget » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:49 pm

Looks good Martyn :thumbup:
I am not sure what the outcome will be for the one in France. It would be good to see it in the same condition as yours standing proud where it served.
Slightly confused as to why the one in France is yellow. I would assume it would have been green :think:

martyn williams

Post #8 by martyn williams » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:57 pm

A lot of war time machines were overhauled and painted yellow.Mine was green under the yellow when I stripped it back.These D4's were used for smaller jobs in WW2,filling in bomb craters etc also I have a very disturbing photo taken at Belson concentration camp with a D4 dozing mass graves. The D7's were also used a lot in WW2, m series and t series
Martyn

Return to “Dozers”