Buying a Caterpillar D4 (or not)

Discuss dozers here

Topic author
CEJM

Buying a Caterpillar D4 (or not)

Post #1 by CEJM » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:39 pm

At the farm we got some work for a dozer. As I like to do things myself I have been looking to buy a dozer so that I can do the work whenever I got time.

Restoring car/machines is also a bit of a hobby as it keeps me out the way of the missus.

I have found this Caterpillar D4 for sale which according to its owner starts fine and runs well. (haven't seen it in real life) The plan is to buy this dozer and do the work the work around the farm and when that is completed give the dozer an overhaul and paint job and sell it on. The goal is not necessarily to make money but to get the work done and give me something to keep me occupied.

The dozer would cost me around £3500, is it worth this and how much would it worth with a new coat of paint and completely overhauled? Would the future selling price cover the cost of paint and parts (within reason?

Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Re: Buying a Caterpillar D4 (or not)

Post #2 by FOWLER MAN » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:08 pm

Hi Colin,
At first glance the old D4 looks pretty tidy and no doubt it runs well as described, but looking at the wide gaps between the track plates the track chains must be well streched, (worn pins).
With an older machine a track overhaul is likely to cost more than the value of the machine, so be carefull. :!: :!:
Even if you found some serviceable seccond-hand running gear you'd probably have to get the sprockets pulled off and pressed back on and that won't come cheap.
You could be better advised if you were able to post close up pics. of the track chains, sprockets and idlers.
Fred

Topic author
CEJM

Post #3 by CEJM » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:40 pm

Hi Fred,

Unfortunately I haven't got any close-up photo's. The machine is for sale abroad which obviously doesn't help either.

Just out of curiosity, how much would a track overhaul cost. (roughly)

These are the only two more photo's I have got from this machine. I will contact the seller and try to get some close-up photo's.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
CEJM

Post #4 by CEJM » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:45 pm

They also got the following D4 for sale, but probably with the same problem looking at the photo's.

martyn williams

Post #5 by martyn williams » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:07 am

Looks a nice D4 7U dozer but as Fred says the running gear condition is a key point and expensive to replace.I like the one with the winch.If you are useing it just for showing and the price is right and the tracks are not too bad go for it. :thumbup: If engine run well is another plus,you can still get filters from your Cat dealers.
Martyn

Topic author
CEJM

Post #6 by CEJM » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:27 pm

They got 5 D4's for sale but only have pictures of 2 on their website. Been invited to go round and have a look at them but as it is abroad I will try to get some pictures first.

martyn williams

Post #7 by martyn williams » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:09 pm

:thumbup:
Martyn

Inter674

Post #8 by Inter674 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:35 am

I have the same machine and they are well built but yes, overhauling the track gear is expensive and cost up to 10k Adollars for new chains, rollers and plates.

Whilst they are quite usefull, the engine is somewhat underpowered for a machine this size, so don't expect any miracles when pushing dirt - I am not sure why they have 5 gears as you will not get out 1st or second when working. I've never run 5th which won't even move the machine on flat ground!

Other things to look for are the steering clutches which if worn are a PIA to replace as are the brake bands. Check the main clutch too for slipping and look for any oil in the clutch housing which should be dry unless it has an oil clutch fitted.

The main and pilot motor parts are very expensive too - as are almost all Cat parts but at least many are still available.

JimInOz
Flag: Australia

Post #9 by JimInOz » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:26 am

Consider import costs too...quarantine,taxes,etc.
I believe Pilot motors are expensive to repair/replace,as is undercarriage.

Return to “Dozers”