Pipe layer to dozer??

Discuss dozers here

tctractors
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Pipe layer to dozer??

Post #11 by tctractors » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:51 pm

Hi Fred, I also had a Fowler Challenger 3 fitted with the Meadows engine a CCU and blade (oil fired) anyhow I bought it in a Job Lot with about 10 items of plant and wagons plus about 6 Farm Chariots (tractors, David Browns???) this Fowler was only used to pull a Timber sledge out of the Woods to the road, someone stole the drive shaft to the gearbox from it and I think the undercart was D7 (old) size and I poked the track groups under a 3T or something and chopped the Challenger up, I used to do work for Phil Strange for about 6 years as and when the wind blew, so now you know my tales of Boom to Blade moments to be facts, Phil used to also have 3 old D7's and just 1 engine,there was a blade tractor a pay welder and a sideboom, the engine was always in the wrong tractor when 1 was needed, I could swap out that engine into the tractor required in a moment I did it so many times.

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #12 by FOWLER MAN » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:26 am

Hi TC,
It's a small world.
I bought an Allis HD21 powershift blade from Phill Strange too. There were two there at the time, I had the best one.
I can't remember why or how, but my first glimpse of the first new Priestman 108 I bought, (in1979), was on a lowloader parked up in Phills yard too.
I also bought a Komatsu 150 out of that yard from "Cotswold Plant" who used the yard as a base. What happened to them??
It was a guy called Bob Modlen, I must have bought half a dozen machines off him when he was selling with Case Poclain at Avonmouth.
Fred

tctractors

Post #13 by tctractors » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:29 am

Fred, I cannot recall Cotswold Plant, the first time I did any work for Phill was when his yard was at Morton Vallance, later he bought an old transport yard a bit further down the A38, he used to always have a Low Loader around the 1 being a Foden (Ex Gleesons) with a Goldhoffer trailer, this outfit had some poke and never refused to pull a massive load up a massive bank, he also had a DAF (Ex C.W. Vick) this was like a car to drive it even had a "Formica" topped tray thing in the cab and was quite a posh thing to pilot around, this was mostly used with a straight frame trailer so going out with it was a "Good Day" the Foden was hard work always, as the Sideboom's were pigs to strip down and load up on your tod, with 1 track hanging off the edge nearly and the draw works on the other side sticking out still and Heavy, plus the wheels were 3 piece jobs needing constant medication by me, on the neck was always 2 built up spares plus tubes, flaps and tyres and a bottle of Nitrogen to inflate them, a trip out with the Foden often ended up as a 2 day affair.

p.s. was Cotswold Plant run by a Man called Ivor??

Geoff Taylor

Post #14 by Geoff Taylor » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:16 am

Hi, The pipelayer in the photo is an early 61A 4 cylinder 572E (late 60s early 70s),I would be interested to know her full serial no as I refurbished a 61A250 a few years ago.

The track frame is rigid and the dimensions are that of a D7 LGP (wider than std). If the tractor was in full working order it would be worth easily five times that of its dozer equivalent.

The company I work for has converted many D7s,8s and 9 Dozers to pipelayers with conversion kits from Worldwide and Mid western (hydraulic winches). We also convert original layers to hydraulic using Vanguard wet gear.

Dont convert it!!!!

tctractors

Post #15 by tctractors » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:31 am

Geoff, do you work for Roger Brookhouse or the Arthur Reed Empire, its funny how years ago the direct opposite values ruled, Sidebooms were easy to find for low money with good Dozers hard to get hold of, Roger Brookhouse has a mighty collection of iron working on a Global market.

Geoff Taylor

Post #16 by Geoff Taylor » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:51 pm

Hi Tony, I am working for Roger Brookhouse (12 years),We have a mixture of approx 300 pipelayers,a small quantity of which are dozer conversions, quite a lot of ironwork!!. I know Arthur Reed, he has done a few D9 Dozer to layer conversions for us.
We have a yard full of all Cat models in various states of repair waiting to be fully refurbished back to as new condition through our workshops.

bigkit

Post #17 by bigkit » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:03 pm

Hi Geoff, we shared a cup of tea in the summer while I collected a cab and bits for a D7G. Thanks for your help she's up and running but in need of a paint job to finish! it :thumbup:

Geoff Taylor

Post #18 by Geoff Taylor » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:17 am

Hi Clive,
Good to hear you are up and running,the paint may make her look better but not go better!!

tctractors

Post #19 by tctractors » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:44 am

Geoff, Roger was big mates with Phill Strange, I was sniffing around the Brookhouse Empire for some on site work but it all came to nothing in the end, Roger is a cracking chap and in his day I am told he was a good Pipe Welder, I do loads of work around your area and know well how big Brookhouse Engineering is it would make plenty of peoples eyes water.

dicky

Post #20 by dicky » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:48 pm

hi geoff,its mark here from arthur reeds,hows things going up at bidford,does ketchup still work for roger ? have any of the d9 conversions gone to work yet mate.hope alls well
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Dozers”