Pipe layer to dozer??

Discuss dozers here

RichardJW~

Re: Pipe layer to dozer??

Post #31 by RichardJW~ » Sun May 26, 2013 10:52 am

Just have a look here >>>>>

http://www.1mcl.com/fairview/pipe-layers?limitstart=0

there's a heap of the things for sale......no doubt someone will know the history behind them

Geoff Taylor
Flag: Great Britain

Post #32 by Geoff Taylor » Mon May 27, 2013 7:37 pm

RichardJW~ wrote:Just have a look here >>>>>

http://www.1mcl.com/fairview/pipe-layers?limitstart=0

there's a heap of the things for sale......no doubt someone will know the history behind them

Hi, Most of the pipelayers are ex Select Plant who I believe have closed down, the 572s,583s and 594s are ex OC Summers equipment that were bought out by Select, the Liebherrs are pretty good sidebooms with hydraulic draw works and can go straight to work. The Caterpillars are all manual draw works and need converting to hydraulic as many contracts in the UK now specify hydraulic or better known as "widowmakers" due to their inability to free fall quickly enough in an emergency and tip over usually killing the operator.

bigkit

Post #33 by bigkit » Mon May 27, 2013 7:51 pm

Where's the health and safety there then Geoff! :doh: I heard that also from Roger, the manual models are much more popular with the "old school". He also said that the "4" series high drives were also less popular.

Geoff Taylor

Post #34 by Geoff Taylor » Mon May 27, 2013 10:45 pm

bigkit wrote:Where's the health and safety there then Geoff! :doh: I heard that also from Roger, the manual models are much more popular with the "old school". He also said that the "4" series high drives were also less popular.

Hi, Give me a manual any day,health and safety are not always right, any Tom,Dick or Harry can operate a hydraulic (also dangerous)so less training. The high drives (all hydraulic) are less stable due to a higher centre of gravity,their lifting capacities are nowhere near those of the old 7s,8s and 9s. A lot of the problems are down to the calculation of how many tractors are needed for a lowering in. I see much evidence of this when the offhires come in with the centre of the weight frames badly damaged by having excavator buckets pressing down on them to stop them from tipping over!!. I have witnessed this trick many times but never had a camera to hand. It is a shame that the "old school" operators are close to or in retirement nowadays and that Transco and other companies in their wisdom specify hydraulic. This is also the case in some states of America where we have layers working on Union contracts that specify hydraulic kit.

Nickswad
Flag: Australia

Post #35 by Nickswad » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:40 am

Hi mate, have a look at my thread and you will see a pics of a conversion on my 561 pipe layer, done before I bought it.

Cheers

Nick Swadling

Return to “Dozers”