dozers

Discuss dozers here

Topic author
davemadden
Flag: Great Britain

dozers

Post #1 by davemadden » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:46 pm

Hi

I am new to this forum. On a Richards & Wallington muckshift site on Tyneside in the late sixties, when a large Russian dozer was brought on site as a demomstrator. They tried to push Cat 631's with it but it was too fast. I think it was diesel electric with a cab mounted amidships and possibly came from UMO plant. Anyone got info or pictures ?

modelman093

Re: dozers

Post #2 by modelman093 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:18 pm

davemadden wrote:Hi

I am new to this forum. On a Richards & Wallington muckshift site on Tyneside in the late sixties, when a large Russian dozer was brought on site as a demomstrator. They tried to push Cat 631's with it but it was too fast. I think it was diesel electric with a cab mounted amidships and possibly came from UMO plant. Anyone got info or pictures ?

Somewhere - I'll have a look through a pile of old back and white 35mm negatives!! It or another similar one was on dem at the Wraysbury reservoir site near Heathrow. Also on the site was the Le Tourneau Electric Digger (twin bowl scraper), also diesel electric.

gah1950
Flag: Wales

Post #3 by gah1950 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:19 pm

hello dave ,
i can remember that particular dozer because there was quite a bit of paranoia among the security services that it could be developed into a battle tank in a short space of time,probably a load of propaganda i would say,i believe that UMO were responsible for the import the same way that they brought the belaz dumptrucks into the uk, there should be plenty of cmn members that would have more info than myself.
graham.

tim

Post #4 by tim » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:43 pm

davemadden wrote:Hi

Could this be the one-don't know any thing about it-pic found on the net somewhere in the past
umo1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gah1950
Flag: Wales

Post #5 by gah1950 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:29 pm

hello tim,
looks like the dozer i was thinking about,i am sure that it could,nt have been converted into a tank very quickly.
graham.

Topic author
davemadden

Post #6 by davemadden » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:22 pm

Thanks Tim. That certainly looks like it, any idea what of the name ?

Dave

FatCatGotHot
Flag: Germany

Post #7 by FatCatGotHot » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:20 pm

Hello Dave,
looks like a Chetrak DET 250, a Diesel Electric Tractor with 250 horses and round about 33 tons. Maybe the machine you saw was the next model, a DET 320 with increased horsepower and modernized cab. I believe they are built in the Ukraine. Torsion bar sudpension undercarriage and when you push to hard, you will pop the fuses. Diesel engine cooling was realized by an airstream generated in the exaust system through injection nozzels. Some DET 250s were used in the former GDR in open pit coal mining operations, as bulldozers or for conveyor belt moving. As I was told, a good operator got 2000 hours out of that V12 diesel.

Thats all I know about them.

Salve,

Max

Topic author
davemadden

Post #8 by davemadden » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:19 am

Thanks for that Max

FatCatGotHot
Flag: Germany

Post #9 by FatCatGotHot » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:16 pm

Hi Dave,

found a video on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=cU56OxYl4Zg&NR=1

Looks like testing the drawbar pull. The towed "scoolbus" crawler looks like a converted old DET 250 into a mobil testing laboratory.

As far I Know, these diesel-electric crawlers have one electric motor and a set of planetary gears on each side. Steering is done by shifting into a higher or lower gear on one side, or shifting into neutral and brakinf one track.
The newer DET 320 has a exhaust stack, while the older det 250 has flat exhausts at the side of the hood. No good in the summertime: Open the cab doors and you have the diesel smoke in the cab.

Max

Deas Plant

Post #10 by Deas Plant » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:31 am

Hi, Folks.
These dozers are diesel-electric drive as FCGH said. Built in several places in Russia from about 1961, they have a bit of a reputation for keeping going in the Russian winters when pretty much nothing else will. Their latest 'baby' is the T800 with specs almost exactly like the Cat D11T. It shows up in one video that I know of on Youtube - Real Russian Monsters, I think.

One operator with whom I corresponded on the HEF site a while back had worked alongside them in Soviet Russia in the late 1970's-1980's and said they handled the conditions over there pretty well and seemed pretty reliable too.

I don't know abut 'popping fuses' when under heavy load but I reckon that high reverse speed might be handy when push-loading scrapers. Dunno about having the low-down grunt for the actual pushing.

Just my 0.02.
You have a wonderful day. Best wishes. Deas Plant.

Return to “Dozers”