dozers

Discuss dozers here

stenejohn

Re: dozers

Post #11 by stenejohn » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:55 am

Thank you guys for sharing this wonderful information about Dozers.

FatCatGotHot
Flag: Germany

Post #12 by FatCatGotHot » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:37 pm

Deas Plant wrote:Hi, Folks.
These dozers are diesel-electric drive as FCGH said. Built in several places in Russia from about 1961, they have a bit of a reputation for keeping going in the Russian winters when pretty much nothing else will. Their latest 'baby' is the T800 with specs almost exactly like the Cat D11T. It shows up in one video that I know of on Youtube - Real Russian Monsters, I think.

One operator with whom I corresponded on the HEF site a while back had worked alongside them in Soviet Russia in the late 1970's-1980's and said they handled the conditions over there pretty well and seemed pretty reliable too.

I don't know abut 'popping fuses' when under heavy load but I reckon that high reverse speed might be handy when push-loading scrapers. Dunno about having the low-down grunt for the actual pushing.

Just my 0.02.

Hi Deas,

I'm reffering to what a bulldozer operator from the former GDR told me. He operated the DET 250 and even a Cat D8N (was very proud of it as it was the only one in the GDR).
As far he told me, the DET 250 has one single electric drive motor. Maybe we can consider that part of the tractor as something that acts like a torque converter found on normal crawler tractors: When that electric motor slows down under load, its torque increases as the "sucked-in" current does.
I believe those electric motors were air-cooled and increased current speaks for increased production of heat - but slowing down under load means less RPM and less air-cooling. Of course you can push, but exaggerate it on a long distance and the fuse pops just to prevent the electric engine from getting cooked. Then you had to reset the fuse and wait a ciggarete-long-time to let the motor cool down. Or maybe run the dozer without load to increase the air flow.
Found something about the D8 McCoy Special scraper pusher yesterday. Was surprised that the operator had to take great care of the torque converter: Too much and even to less load could result in converter damage, but thats more than 50 years ago. Guess modern tractors are much easier to operate.

Cheers, Max

hoggie

Post #13 by hoggie » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:41 am

Hello all i am new here,I operated a DET 250 hired from Halegate Plant at N.C.B. brickworks at Wittlesea, nr Peterbough pushing DW21,s in 1969 and also one from UMO plant at green shields stamps site in Daventry. Max is spot on with the dozers performance not bad but no D9, big spacious 2 seater cab, tiller stear left right back for brake lift floor flap tiller forward for very fast travel (hence a tank) electric switch start/run electric switch forward/back (when and if the points click in behind you) right foot accelerator right hand blade control wind down cab side window smelly exhaust just in front. Broke down when something failed on final drives, not a problem when supported by Russian fitters and back up staff but all 120 approx deported in 1970 probably for being maybe a tad to nosey.

FatCatGotHot
Flag: Germany

Post #14 by FatCatGotHot » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:56 pm

Dug out the homepage of Helmut, he's the operator I told you about - and he is also an tallented craftman as he knows to recreate these crawlers in 1:10!
First a beatiful rc-model of the T-100 - wich was THE bread-and-butter bulldozer of eastern countries. As far I understand it, it's based upon the Cat D7 wich found its way into the Soviet Union during WW2: http://www.bmm-schlegel.de/HRS-Web/ost01.htm

And now its model of the DET 250:http://www.bmm-schlegel.de/HRS-Web/ost2.htm

Now you can imagine the impact of the DET 250 when it appeared in the 60ies, compared to the T-100 it was a beast, faster and more comfortable to operate, too.

alan627b

Post #15 by alan627b » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:36 am

They almost look like they were developed from tanks...
Retro Grading, We Do Modern Jobs with Antique Machinery

v8diesel0121

Post #16 by v8diesel0121 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:01 pm

Diesel electric Dozer, i missed the demo in the mid 70's at a coal site at brownhills ( Swan Works, potters coal and clay) staffordshire (i went their in 77' as a snotty nosed kid) Brodericks from derbyshire ran Belaz dumpers, and the importer sent one (dozer) out for testing, yes the rumour was that a fixed turret and Gun could be installed instead of the Cab !, i reckon it must have been bowmakers (the cat dealer) that started that rumour!, i can remember one of the old operators saying that it wouldnt push as well as a D9G, and that it slewed violently ! (planetary steering ?) , The Belaz dump trucks would Burn as much engine oil as diesel, and part of the deal was that when they were done with, the importer shipped them back to russia to work in the salt mines!, maybe another urban myth ??...the most impressive truck on site was the Kamaz 6X4 (the sort we used to see on tv on the moscow may day parades carrying missiles!), hauling coal out the hole to the crusher, those trucks were, and are bullet proof, although you would need a football field to turn one round!, happy days!......

Holger
Site Admin
Flag: Sweden

Post #17 by Holger » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:31 pm

I got this via email from Johan V today:

Indeed there were one or more Russian DET 250 dozers in the UK . Pic 1 shows a machine I found in the former GDR . Yes , it has a spacious cab , but it has a reason . I tell you later .
Pic 2 shows that UMO was the dealer who organised demonstrations in the UK .
I met the DET 250 for the first time in Paris by the end of the sixties at a show .
Now CAT has the D7E , but don't tell them that the Russians were far before . They always answer "That is impossible".
The machine has the tag-link between frame and blade , that was introduced by CAT with the first D10 .
It has 2 sprockets side by side .
Why does the machine smoke so heavily ? Look at the position of the exhaust pipes between the air pipes !!!!!!!
In the cab there is an air bottle behind the operator's seat . For starting when the batteries are exhausted .

Why is the cab so wide ? Well , there is the operator at the extreme right . There are 2 seats left : one for his wife , and one for the Russian official .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Some resources:
How-To

bigkit
Flag: Great Britain

Post #18 by bigkit » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:44 pm

Why is the cab so wide ? Well , there is the operator at the extreme right . There are 2 seats left : one for his wife , and one for the Russian official .

Apparently our cabs are getting bigger so each driver can have his own safety officer! :doh: :lol: :lol: :?
Last edited by Holger on Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added the quote

Jeremy Rowland

Post #19 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:59 pm

bigkit wrote:

Apparently our cabs are getting bigger so each driver can have his own safety officer! :doh: :lol: :lol: :?

Ahh so that explains it then Clive and here was me thinking it was because we were all getting fatter. :shock: :lol: :lol:

Jeremy
Last edited by Holger on Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added the quote

bigkit
Flag: Great Britain

Post #20 by bigkit » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:04 pm

:lol:

Well if the safety man's not in there there's room to keep the labourer dry! And besides he's less likely to get run over in the cab than on his feet with some of these new drivers!!!! :insomnia:

Return to “Dozers”