Using Dozers And A Chain For Clearing.

Discuss dozers here

Topic author
Deas Plant

Re: Using Dozers And A Chain For Clearing.

Post #41 by Deas Plant » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:34 pm

Hi, Nicky Lamb.
Let's get a little 'political correctness' into this site, pullleeeaaase?

'Manually-operated wet dreamer', if you don't mind.

That chain was fairly pricey back in the mid-1960's - might be too costly for the uses you mentioned these days. As in, are they worth that much to get rid of them? I doubt it.
You have a wonderful day. Best wishes. Deas Plant.

IANOZ

Post #42 by IANOZ » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:39 pm

Hey Deas plant , I have not forgotten about the videos on the scrub pulling ,Just been slack and havent got round to ringing you .ian

modelman093
Flag: Great Britain

Post #43 by modelman093 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:17 pm

Fascinating thread and some impressive kit from the likes of Gessner Industries. However it struck me how similar their kit is to that made by Holt (the dealer) in the US in the 60s and 70s. There are great (but copyrighted!) pics of their Funnel Dozers and siamesed D9s in the Caterpillar Photo Gallery but here are some pics of my model D9 Funnel Dozer which was commissioned by another collector from a UK model builder.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nick lamb

Post #44 by nick lamb » Fri May 01, 2009 9:46 pm

I didn't know you Austrailian chaps were too bothered about political correctness :lol:
Nice model Angus.

Topic author
Deas Plant

Post #45 by Deas Plant » Sat May 02, 2009 9:41 am

Hi, Modelman93,
Thattza neat model you have there. Thanks for posting the photos.

To the best of my knowledge - which is not encyclopaedic - nobody has ever 'Siamesed' any D9's. (Or, if they did, they certainly didn't ask my permission. LOL.) I suspect that you might be referring to the Dual D9's and/or the 'side-by-side D9's, both of which were designed and built by Buster Peterson, not by Holts.

Buster Peterson also designed and built the 3 x 2U D8 Siamese combinations back around 1948-50. He first Siamesed two Allis Chalmers crawlers, HD19's I think, to prove the concept before he did the trick with the first 2 x 2U D8's. (I suspect that he didn't want to waste two perfectly good Cats if it didn't work. LOL.) The first 2x Siamese D8 arrangements were normal clearance versions but the third and last was a high clearance machine to which Holt fitted a cable operated funnel dozer and cable operated root plow for King Ranch in the great Lone Star state. (Both Holt and Peterson were and still are Cat dealers in Calfornia.)

Buster Peterson designed and built the Dual D9's, otherwise known as quad-track D9's or DD9's. He also the first side-by-side D9's, or SxS D9's, at Cat's request. He apparently used 2 model Cat tractors set up side by side with one wide blade across the front of both of them as his 'test bed machine'. The Cat engineers liked the idea. He then went on to build the 'real thing' using 2 x D9G's. Cat liked what Buster put together for them and began building them almost exactly as Buster had built the first set. Cat bought Buster's patents for the DD9's and built the two combinations themselves as factory variants of the normal D9. Buster started with D9G's and Cat was still building D9G's when they bought the patents from Buster. Cat continued the concepts with the 'H' series D9's and only stopped producing the two variants around the time they introduced the first model of D10, which sorta made them redundant anyway.

Just as a matter of interest, the process outlined above for the 'birth' of the SxS D9's came into play again when Cat approached Buster to put 'into iron' the concept of 2 twin-powered scrapers pushing and pulling each other to load without a push cat.

The whole reason for the original DD9 concept was that scrapers had gotten so big that ONE D9 couldn't push-load them efficiently. It became standard practice to use 2 x D9's working together to load the bigger scrapers. Buster, being the inventive critter that he was, decided there had to be a better way than having 2 operators tied up on 2 separate dozers to load ONE scraper. There was also the problem of getting the 2 separate machines in contact and pushing without breaking somebody's neck. Coupling the 2 dozers together and having ONE operator control both simplified the situation somewhat.

With the DD9 arrangement, the operator sat on the front dozer on a seat that was on a raised platform, about 10-12" higher than standard, and the seat was angled about 15 degrees to the right to make it easier to keep tabs on the back machine. (This latter idea was incorporated into the high-sprocket drive Cats too, to improve rearward visibility.) With the SxS D9's the operator sat in the normal operator position on the left-hand machine.

Most DD9's were fitted with cushion push blades for loading scrapers. A few had rippers fitted for ripping while working with the scrapers. Some also had a Collins ripper system fitted for ripping hardpan in the grape and fruit growing areas of California.

You can see photos of the DD9's pushing scrapers here:

http://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/For ... 480&page=4

And some photos of the Collins ripper here:

http://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/For ... 480&page=2

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's an ORDER. LOL.

'Nuff for now.
Last edited by Deas Plant on Sat May 02, 2009 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Deas Plant

Re: "Political Correct - what???????????????????????????????????

Post #46 by Deas Plant » Sat May 02, 2009 9:49 am

Hi, Nicky Lamb.
Waddaya torkin' about, M8. Wottziss Poley-tickle Core-ect-mess stuff yer mumblin' about?

Try doing a search for "the origins of political correctness" on Google. Might give you a clue or two about the crap. Just another way of controlling the 'great un-washed' - - - - besides putting 'em in chains, that is. (See? Gottittin again.)

Topic author
Deas Plant

Post #47 by Deas Plant » Sat May 02, 2009 12:50 pm

Hi, Folks.
'Twould appear that I wuz mistook in my post above about where the Holt blades were built, maybe the ditto with the root plows.

Check this site for futher information.

http://www.tacomatug.com/holt%20tractor.htm

I'm now going to have my well-earned dinner of very singed Humble Crow. LOL.

modelman093

Post #48 by modelman093 » Sat May 02, 2009 10:50 pm

To the best of my knowledge - which is not encyclopedic - nobody has ever 'Siamesed' any D9's. (Or, if they did, they certainly didn't ask my permission. LOL.) I suspect that you might be referring to the Dual D9's and/or the 'side-by-side D9's, both of which were designed and built by Buster Peterson, not by Holts.

Spot on! It was "Twin D8s" not 9s, built by Buster Peterson- two tractors joined side by side with the inner tracks removed. Also available in high clearance guise and fitted with Holt funnel dozer and root "plow". The side-by-side D9 arrangement retained all four tracks.
If no one (moderators please comment) is worried about copyright issues I will post a photo from the Caterpillar Picture Gallery - PA LeTourneau, Iconografix, ISBN 1-882256-70-0
Angus

Topic author
Deas Plant

Post #49 by Deas Plant » Sun May 03, 2009 1:15 am

Hi, Modelman93.
Just as a matter of interest, is that model of the D9 with funnel dozer commercially available? If so, may I ask where? I am curious and - maybe - interested.

modelman093

Post #50 by modelman093 » Sun May 03, 2009 8:19 am

Deas Plant wrote:Hi, Modelman93.
Just as a matter of interest, is that model of the D9 with funnel dozer commercially available? If so, may I ask where? I am curious and - maybe - interested.

Hi Deas,
No, it is one of a small batch researched and commissioned from a skilled model maker by another UK collector. Not sure how many were made - probably less than 20. As an example of the quality of this man's work I attach a couple of pics of the engine from an 8R.
Angus
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Dozers”