Life in Hell

Discuss dozers here

Topic author
nick lamb

Life in Hell

Post #1 by nick lamb » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:29 pm

I occasionally do operator work for other contractors.It usually means I do abit of sick cover,holliday cover or filling the seat untill they get a permanant operator.I haven't done more that three days in a row for years but I quite enjoy it.One of my deacent jobs is ripping in a local quarry and one of my horrible jobs is covered in this thread........
Over the last 20 years I cover a local domestic landfill site sometimes lining the cells with clay and other times on the tip itself.It stinks,it's dangerous and its so mind numbing a halfwitt would get bored.It pays well enough though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

macca1

Re: Life in Hell

Post #2 by macca1 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:39 pm

what cab you inside of there D5 or D6 mate

Topic author
nick lamb

Post #3 by nick lamb » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:57 pm

The job entails an 8am start allthough I fire the machine up at 7.30 and do a few checks on it then have a pint of milk whilst she warms up.'She' is a Cat D6H series2 lgp diff steer dozer.No aircon,no radio no reversing camera and no other general comfort.On the positive side it has a heater,glass,breathing equipment and reasonably tight fitting door catches(this keeps the dust out of the cab).
Each 10hr shift sees about 6 to 800 waggons a day bring in all the stuff we recycle(plastic,cardboard,paper etc) and of course the stuff we don't recycle (that,s everthing in your black bin).Large quantities of hospital waste spice the day up with lashings of incontinance pads,nappies,bandages,syringes and other unmentionables.
We (2x Cat D6H,2x D6R,1x D6T,1x D7RWS and some big blue compactors) spend our time towing the trucks both on and off the tip.This is extremely hard on your neck as you spend nearly all day looking at the respective waggon driver waiting for his instructions..The waste they leave is then dozed to the edge of the tip where you leave it in a heap at the edge of the face(you never push it over).One of the 3 compactors then tramps onto it and kind of 'irons' it on the edge of the face.
It's a simple and straight forward job that can easily lull you into sleep but that's where things could prove deadly.......
on average we hook up to about 200 trucks each day and the truck driver stands at his bumper waiting to hitch you on for his tow.If the dozer operator falls asleep,answers the phone,sneezes,farts or whatever he could loose concentration and plow straight into the waiting truck with the driver as the sandwich filling.

Topic author
nick lamb

Post #4 by nick lamb » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:05 pm

sorry Macca,didn't see your post mate.A D6H LGP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

diggerjones
Flag: Great Britain

Post #5 by diggerjones » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:37 pm

think i saw your pics in plant mag this week. see you got a radio in that cab. i had a radio built into a wooden box, that i used to cart round.

Topic author
nick lamb

Post #6 by nick lamb » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:29 pm

Hi Dylan.Plant mag pics? it's news to me.Which one is it as I will have to have a trip to the newsagents :)

diggerjones

Post #7 by diggerjones » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:10 pm

classic plant and machinery page 13. d8h 68a sent in by n lamb[

diggerjones

Post #8 by diggerjones » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:39 pm

eesha 032.jpg

modelman093

Post #9 by modelman093 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:22 pm

nicky lamb wrote:Each 10hr shift sees about 6 to 800 waggons a day bring in all the stuff we recycle(plastic,cardboard,paper etc) and of course the stuff we don't recycle (that,s everthing in your black bin).Large quantities of hospital waste spice the day up with lashings of incontinance pads,nappies,bandages,syringes and other unmentionables.

What, no shite hawks - or is it too far inland?!
Angus

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #10 by FOWLER MAN » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:59 am

Hi Nicky
LIFE IN HELL :!: :!: If you had a n old 22A or 7M or Challenger 33 with a cab in a cardboard box you would realy have something to complain about. :lol: :lol:
Fred

Return to “Dozers”