Some sheduled maintenance

Discuss dozers here

Topic author
nick lamb

Some sheduled maintenance

Post #1 by nick lamb » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:02 pm

here's abit of spanner work for you
Due to the bad weather I had some spare time to carry on with some jobs on the old D8.When we did the engine overhaul back in 2006 I didn't bother replacing the caps that sit on top of the valves. I bought some new ones last summer but didn't get arround to fitting them.I did the front ones when sorting out a leaking rocker cover gasket last season but didn't do the back ones untill thursday of this week.
We picked a day when we knew it would be parked up(it was pi##ing down ALL day) and I let Billy the kid loose on it.I agree it wasn't ideal conditions for going into the top of an engine but it was better than a dusty day.The rocker cover gives a good indication as to the condition of the engine and I was pleased to see it was nice and clean(they are ofton sludgy).We tinkered about with it for an hour and a half doing the exhaust at 20 and the air at 16(or was it the other way around? :dizzy: ).A good fitter will do this in 30 mins.
Anyway we cracked it up and I dogged some sand out with it for the rest of the shift while Billy chainsawed some logs up for my fire at home.
Into the pit I found the D5 was doing abit on the head of the cut. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
nick lamb

Re: Some sheduled maintenance

Post #2 by nick lamb » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:12 pm

I like to see 'em earning some brass :D
Here you can see the current quarry face.It's about 130 vertical feet and needs to be about only 20 feet benches for h+s reasons :x .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

argie
Flag: Wales

Post #3 by argie » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:36 pm

Great photos of the D5 Nicky. Glad to see you are keeping them busy.
Paul

v64paul

Post #4 by v64paul » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:28 pm

Nice one Nicky, all you need now is to convince Julian Stafford to trade his old roller in for an old 22a and we will have cracked it. 8-)
there are old fitters and bold fitters but no old bold fitters...

Topic author
nick lamb

Post #5 by nick lamb » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:16 pm

Paul A.they aren't busy at the moment mate as the weather is so wet.The D5 has only done 3 or 4 shifts this year and the D8 has done the same.It's better than nothing and the work is still to do when the weather picks up.I may even be doing abit of driving work myself as the yard is pretty quiet and I don't want to lay anyone off.I have done a couple of shifts on a D6R at the local landfill site last week and a week or so ripping on a D155 before christmas.Both are for regular customers who I do abit of emergancy filling in work for.That type of work suits me(and it's like a busmans holiday!)
Paul H,hi mate,I spoke to big Al last week funnily enough.Julian came up to the yard the other day and we had abit of a talk.I've advised him to find out what size load he can carry on his lowloader before he commits himself on buying a machine and once he decides a may be able to help him with his choice.Personally I think a nice little 1960's Cat D4 would do the trick or a 955 or something.I have seen a beautifull Cat 944 shovel in a mates yard which would suit him but I've not told him yet.

v64paul

Post #6 by v64paul » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:30 pm

His tractor unit is plated for 28 tons as is, but could go back up to 32. It's fairly simple on the old ERF's if memory serves me correctly it was down to the size and or number of bolts holding the fifth wheel on. Once that's done it's off to VOSA as they call it a notifiable alteration. He has a fine old king tandem trailer with an hydraulic swan neck. I think he would be lucky to carry anything more than a D5. He does his homework, very nice set up he has. Glad things are ticking over despite this governments best efforts. Big Al has just been visiting, off to scotland tomorrow as second man, these Komatsu 130's can be a bit tricky apparently. Must be a mighty machine needing two men to bring it, i would'nt know. Playing with DAF's has kept me out of touch :lol:
there are old fitters and bold fitters but no old bold fitters...

Topic author
nick lamb

Post #7 by nick lamb » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:51 pm

Here's abit of UNSHEDULED maintenance for you all :(

Topic author
nick lamb

Post #8 by nick lamb » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:22 pm

Went down to see the tractors on monday,D8 needed an alternator belt and I gave the D5 a quick check over.
The belt on most machines requires the removal of the guards and fan belts.This is abit awkward on a D8 and is best done when the engine is cold to avoid burning.The sunshine was doing that anyhow as to slide my arms into the fan it required full top clothing strip down and I fu##ing hate the sun burning down on me :x
Anyway the Cat belt was too big so I got one made up near the quarry.This was too small and I was into this job now so nothing was going to stop me.
To get the undersized belt on meant I had to remove those big fan blades and as I didn't fancy removing the bonnet it was a lovely challanging little task performed in a tight space.I know how vets must feel delivering ewes!.
Got it on in the end and made a pulley over the water hose to hoist the fan blades back into place :thumbup:
Did a fuel filter service too whilst I was filthy and then put it too work for the rest of the day.

tctractors
Flag: Great Britain

Post #9 by tctractors » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:01 pm

Nick its good to see you are doing me and others out of a job, those generator belts are real dogs when things are cold, but in the Summer they are Nectar, :D I am sort of pleased with myself at the moment as yesterday I bought probably the best heap of scrap ever, its a CAT 951C parked in the brambles with a brick on top of the exhaust and grass in the cab, so it has all the trademarks of a well serviced ready for hire unit ;), I threw a couple of rubbish 12 volters on board, flicked the go button (after removing the Brick) to hear the motor dog into life like a brand new Volvo,I hoisted up the rear little ripper thing (yes it has one) lifted the loader arms then poked it into "go Forward please" the little Bird flew out of the brambles like a Red Bull race job, I only moved it about 20ft but what a good banger, the amp meter was showing it needed N Power to control it, the blood pressure was nearly bending the needle and it sounded bang on, the tracks and stuff are about as good as brand new, it has a 4x1 and standard buckets and a mountain of spares including all cylinders, the only crap thing is the Cab, its some rare beast thats comming straight off and turned into something from the "East" if you understand???, anyhow today was spent washing off a D8K ready to take to the Welland Steam Show and drinking beer in the Garden, its as good as it gets tctractors

Deas Plant

Post #10 by Deas Plant » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:36 pm

Hi, TCtractors.
Good catch, M8. I have run 931's, 941's, 955's, 977's and a couple of 983's but I have never had my favourite rump steak on any series of 951. The company that I now work for - - - - - when I am there to do a bit - - - - - had 3 of them at various stages, a 951, a 951B and a 951C. He said that the 951 had weak finals, the 951B was hard to keep cool and the 951C did away with all the issues of the previous two models. He also said that compared with either of the earlier models, the 'C' had sports car' performance, it was really nippy and a great to handle.

Now how about some photos? You know the 'rools'.
You have a wonderful day. Best wishes. Deas Plant.

Return to “Dozers”