Some sheduled maintenance

Discuss dozers here

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Re: Some sheduled maintenance

Post #471 by Mrsmackpaul » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:45 am

abrasive soils are a constant problem on the farm here very light sandy loam we hard face everything and that helps a lot, do you hard face any of the points or the shank or is it not worth it ???
I have seen machines around this area were they have tried to hard face grousers but I dont think it works very well

As said great pictures as always

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

68a

Post #472 by 68a » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:46 pm

Paul.
I have not had the need to hard face anything for years now,however,this could be job where it would be smart to do abit on the blade.

68a

Post #473 by 68a » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:57 pm

This job is nearly two weeks in now,and is bone dry.
Over 20000 cube to slot doze out.,then to replace the topsoil.
I should have brought a box ,but assumed it would be too wet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

diggerjones
Flag: Great Britain

Post #474 by diggerjones » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:23 pm

So I understand you push the muck in a slot to shift more because the slot keeps it in front of you. When you're down to level. How do you progress across the site, do you start another slot a few metres away from the first.
Where's this job if you don't mind me asking, looks nearer to me than your normal work. I,m in South cheshire

68a

Post #475 by 68a » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:01 pm

diggerjones wrote:So I understand you push the muck in a slot to shift more because the slot keeps it in front of you. When you're down to level. How do you progress across the site, do you start another slot a few metres away from the first.
Where's this job if you don't mind me asking, looks nearer to me than your normal work. I,m in South cheshire

Digger,job is in Mid Wales mate.
Slot dozing allows to push more muck.You load the blade down into the slot,then push it along the bottom for a short way,then lift the blade up sharp to leave it in a pile.
It keeps the tractor pushing downhill (even when the muck is going uphill) .This keeps the tractor as productive as possible.
If you are pushing it in 2nd gear,you are working completely wrong.

68a

Post #476 by 68a » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:04 pm

You next cut a slot about a meter next to the last one.
It's important to keep it as accurate as possible.
Once you are loading the blade,your hands should be resting.No steering.

68a

Post #477 by 68a » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:17 pm

Some more pics explaining the method
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

diggerjones
Flag: Great Britain

Post #478 by diggerjones » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:29 pm

Cheers for the explanation. I drove dozers long time ago. But nothing to technical. Did have a spell on the then new felwell brigde and a52 in stoke.
I would think in a few years time there won't be too many dozer drivers about. I bet you're drivers are old school, getting on a bit.
I was sort of right about the area. Didn't think it was north of you. Wonderful place mid wales

68a

Post #479 by 68a » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:07 pm

diggerjones wrote:Cheers for the explanation. I drove dozers long time ago. But nothing to technical. Did have a spell on the then new felwell brigde and a52 in stoke.
I would think in a few years time there won't be too many dozer drivers about. I bet you're drivers are old school, getting on a bit.
I was sort of right about the area. Didn't think it was north of you. Wonderful place mid wales

Very few good dozer operators about now..
They all want to take the easy option and drive dumpers or diggers (allthough I appreciate being a good excavator operator is a skilled job.)

Jeremy Rowland

Post #480 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:41 am

Top stuff there Nicky; yes each job has its skills and I have never understood why industry kids itself that skills like this just don't come overnight, but only after many years experience, no wonder we are short of skilled men in many trades.
My brother has his own business as an architect and they have had no end of trouble trying to get skilled people, just the same as where I work in engineering, the trouble is with smaller businesses like my brothers is that the skilled people are so snowed under with work they just don't have the time to stop and train anybody, I suppose the same applies with yourself?

Jeremy

Return to “Dozers”