Re: Some sheduled maintenance

Post #211 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:53 pm

Great pics Nick, good to see that your keeping TCT busy :thumbup:

Jeremy

tctractors
Flag: Great Britain

Post #212 by tctractors » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:11 pm

JR, Nicky never mentioned the black glop that everything was covered in giving me hell of a scrub up chore on the hands etc, I did have a seal installer that pushes the seal and wear sleave on the crank-shaft in 1 hit, this speeds things up some but the heat into the afternoons was also fearfull hot making this sort of work tough going, anyhow the job worked out well with the tractor engine temp reduced by a good amount without oil pumping out of the front.

Topic author
nick lamb

Post #213 by nick lamb » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:01 pm

I get a call last Saturday afternoon to say the D8's leaking a fair bit of transmission oil so might be a good idea to check it over as it's working quite abit at the moment.I set off on Monday morning on the dark rain swept M6 with as many spare hoses as I could find and a box of o rings.It was 4.15 am.I get to the pit and pull on my wetsuit and get the torch out.After pulling the floor plates up I find the offending pipe and fire the engine up to make sure it's not just an o ring.It isn't so I crawl underneath in the slurry and remove the inspection plates.This releases all the oil and and muck into my ears.I soon replace the pipe with a spare one that's actually fairly new anyway and bolt it back together and send it out to work.It's about 6.30am and it's pouring down.The wet suit is now wet on the inside but the tractor's happily chugging away as i strip down and clean my hands in a puddle.
I battle my way through four minor car accidents on the M6 to get back just in time to open the yard up for the morning rush at 8am.There's allready a small quewe of artics and builders vans waiting for attention.There will be no morning cuppa for me today :(
Anyway,forklifts are put to work,staff gunned into action and customers served and the day continues at full pace untill 5.30pm.I've had to bolt my food down (again) and my feet are soaked and I havn't sat down all day for a drink of tea.
I return home about 6pm to find my irate wife is stuck to the ceiling because the kids were 'such little buggers' in Marks and Spencers cafe and she's been too moth eaten to cook any tea so 'could I pop out out to the chippy?'.
Well.....no I fu#kin couldn't.
I walked up the road to the pub where I was considering a 16oz T.bone and a pint of Amstell only to find it was shut on Mondays. :roll:
Cheese on Toast it was then.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
nick lamb

Post #214 by nick lamb » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:18 pm

On wednesday morning the D5 blew a hydraulic hose so I had to return to the quarry.This time the sun was shining and it was mid morning.I knew it wouldn't take too long to fix so I took a new D8 bottom roller that I'd been putting off as I just didn't fancy mauling with it at the moment.I took 1" drive sockets and a big scaffolding tube,the burning gear and a torque multiplier just incase it was damn tight.My Dad came to help and he fixed the D5 while I tried a bolt on the D8.I couldn't believe my luck as as soon as I'd cracked them off they came out by hand.I ran the track up on some timbers(waggon wheel rims or old roller shells are best) and removed the collapsed roller.After a good clean up I simply lowered the tractor back onto the new roller and bolted it back together.It's allways worth checking the oil level in new rollers as I have seen them come from the factory dry.
As point of order I dragged the roller out with some rope and slid the new one in with some plywood.No hands or arms go inside that track chain incase the timber collapses.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tctractors

Post #215 by tctractors » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:59 am

Again Nicky, your idea of Cribbing (bits of stick) fall well short??? I usualy throw a wheel rim or 2 under the track and drive the roller/s to be swaped out forward or backwards of the wheel rim/s so the sprocket is free of the ground, then undo the grease valve on the adjuster, remove the roller bolts and drive the slack in the track as required to allow the roller an escape route, then throw in a new roller into the track then drive out the slack in the track and bolt up the roller, it would seem you love a bit of hard work???? anyhow well done its still a crap job sorted.

tctractors

widget

Post #216 by widget » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:36 am

nick lamb wrote:I get a call last Saturday afternoon to say the D8's leaking a fair bit of transmission oil so might be a good idea to check it over as it's working quite abit at the moment.I set off on Monday morning on the dark rain swept M6 with as many spare hoses as I could find and a box of o rings.It was 4.15 am.I get to the pit and pull on my wetsuit and get the torch out.After pulling the floor plates up I find the offending pipe and fire the engine up to make sure it's not just an o ring.It isn't so I crawl underneath in the slurry and remove the inspection plates.This releases all the oil and and muck into my ears.I soon replace the pipe with a spare one that's actually fairly new anyway and bolt it back together and send it out to work.It's about 6.30am and it's pouring down.The wet suit is now wet on the inside but the tractor's happily chugging away as i strip down and clean my hands in a puddle.
I battle my way through four minor car accidents on the M6 to get back just in time to open the yard up for the morning rush at 8am.There's allready a small quewe of artics and builders vans waiting for attention.There will be no morning cuppa for me today :(
Anyway,forklifts are put to work,staff gunned into action and customers served and the day continues at full pace untill 5.30pm.I've had to bolt my food down (again) and my feet are soaked and I havn't sat down all day for a drink of tea.
I return home about 6pm to find my irate wife is stuck to the ceiling because the kids were 'such little buggers' in Marks and Spencers cafe and she's been too moth eaten to cook any tea so 'could I pop out out to the chippy?'.
I walked up the road to the pub where I was considering a 16oz T.bone and a pint of Amstell only to find it was shut on Mondays. :roll:

:gooodpost:
Oh Nick,
You are making me jealous :mrgreen: , I am now reminiscing and i want to be back plant fitting..... I want to get up at stupid o'clock..... drive for 3 hours..... :think: .....get my wet suit on...... :think: .....lay in the sh-t..... :wtf: .....and get a face full..... :wtf: .....get the job done then wash in a puddle.....Bugger it, i cant go on..... i am lying to you..... no i dont ;)

Good post tho mate, we've all been there too many times and thinking WHY!! because thats what we do :thumbup:
Keep going bud, keep earning a crust, dont stop until the bad days outweigh the good :brravo:
I want to rust out not wear out

Neversweat

Post #217 by Neversweat » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:56 am

widget wrote:
nick lamb wrote:I get a call last Saturday afternoon to say the D8's leaking a fair bit of transmission oil so might be a good idea to check it over as it's working quite abit at the moment.I set off on Monday morning on the dark rain swept M6 with as many spare hoses as I could find and a box of o rings.It was 4.15 am.I get to the pit and pull on my wetsuit and get the torch out.After pulling the floor plates up I find the offending pipe and fire the engine up to make sure it's not just an o ring.It isn't so I crawl underneath in the slurry and remove the inspection plates.This releases all the oil and and muck into my ears.I soon replace the pipe with a spare one that's actually fairly new anyway and bolt it back together and send it out to work.It's about 6.30am and it's pouring down.The wet suit is now wet on the inside but the tractor's happily chugging away as i strip down and clean my hands in a puddle.

:gooodpost:
Oh Nick,
You are making me jealous :mrgreen: , I am now reminiscing and i want to be back plant fitting..... I want to get up at stupid o'clock..... drive for 3 hours..... :think: .....get my wet suit on...... :think: .....lay in the sh-t..... :wtf: .....and get a face full..... :wtf: .....get the job done then wash in a puddle.....Bugger it, i cant go on..... i am lying to you..... no i dont ;)

Good post tho mate, we've all been there too many times and thinking WHY!! because thats what we do :thumbup:
Keep going bud, keep earning a crust, dont stop until the bad days outweigh the good :brravo:

Worst thing about that day was finishing on Cheese on Toast - Urrgh :cry:

Steve

68a

Post #218 by 68a » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:45 am

:thumbup:love it reallyn

68a

Post #219 by 68a » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:17 pm

update on engine

68a

Post #220 by 68a » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:20 pm

broken valve and still working ok!

Return to “Dozers”