Fowler resto tas

Discuss dozers here

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Re: Fowler resto tas

Post #11 by FOWLER MAN » Thu May 16, 2013 6:41 pm

Hi,
I'd forgotten about the pad bolt sizes. :oops: The later Fowlers were on 3/4 bolts.
We had both sizes over the years.
Tried to drill (oversise) a set of pads and failed miserably. The steel was just too hard. :doh:
Fred

Inter674

Post #12 by Inter674 » Fri May 17, 2013 4:28 am

Cat dealers used to supply a drill suited to drilling pads, otherwise I've heard that a masonery drill on low speed with lots of coolant works.

Inter674

Post #13 by Inter674 » Fri May 17, 2013 4:33 am

Tassie fowler wrote:Hi Eric, I am in the Huon, southern Tas. Fred, we are checking chains out and found the dimentions of D7d shows 3/4" bolt holes instead of 5/8". All other sizes look good. Have a man checking sizes of D7c as they had 36 links, same as Fowler, where D7d had 37 links. He thinks they may have had smaller bolts. Waiting for reply. Nigel.

So am !!!

I am at Pelverata so we are probably related I guess:)

Small World indeed :dizzy:

PS give Fergus a ring at EMS in Melbourne - he is a genius on track chains and pads ph.0408469330.

D4 7U ITR track chains come in 36 links and have 3/4 holes I think.

PPS Those hills look very familiar - are you up Goodwins Road just down the road from me - not the diesel mechanic by any chance ...??

Jeremy Rowland

Post #14 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri May 17, 2013 6:43 am

Inter674 wrote:Cat dealers used to supply a drill suited to drilling pads, otherwise I've heard that a masonery drill on low speed with lots of coolant works.

It would be easier to simply use a solid carbide drill with some cutting fluid; a masonary drill does have a carbide tip but a solid carbide drill would do the job better and the job would be better done on a milling machine or radial driller where you have better control over the spindle speed and feed rate.

Jeremy

Topic author
Tassie fowler
Flag: Australia

Post #15 by Tassie fowler » Sun May 19, 2013 10:58 am

Eric I am prety sure we are not related but who would have guessed one would have to comunicate via an internet forum to talk to your neighbour 15 minutes up the road. Yes I am the Diesel Fitter down the road.
Fowlerman, when our Fowler was delivered it had a small winch fitted to the rear with a pivoting boom which came up to about seat height with a pulley on the end. It was removed by the dealer and a plate fitted over the opening. Have you seen any thing like this? I am thinking it was to opperate the lift or cut of a trailing disc. Have you ever seen a ripper set fitted to the rear of a Challenger 3 ?

FOWLER MAN

Post #16 by FOWLER MAN » Wed May 22, 2013 1:38 am

Hello Nigel,
No, I don't think there was ever a ripper mounted on a Challenger 3. I've never seen one or any reference to one anyway. No doubt they were paired up with trailed rippers on occasion.

I think one of the blade manufacturers suplied a small single drum winch to opperate the blade :?: :?: That was probably a cheaper option than the usual double drum type.
A trailed ripper only used one rope too so the arrangement on your tractor may have been addapted from that system to opperate trailed implements as you say.
Fred

Topic author
Tassie fowler

Post #17 by Tassie fowler » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:25 pm

OK, we have the track chains just about sorted, but would love to fit some double flanged rollers to help guide the chains. Berco, did list rollers to suit the TM33 Marshall, which I think was the same as the Challenger 3, but I can't get answers from local dealer as to availability. I am hoping I can fit Cat rollers and trying to get measurements to confirm they fit. Bolt sizes will be larger but we can overcome this. Can anyone help with which model would fit? Nigel.

FOWLER MAN

Post #18 by FOWLER MAN » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:22 pm

Hi Nigel,
It's a long time to remember the details, but the rollers were the same on the Challenger 3 and 4, they used the same rollers on the early 33s too.

I seem to remember when they changed to sealed for life rollers on the 33s they finished producing their own and went on to use Berco. The dimensions and fixing, (bolts 5/8 BSF X 1 1/8 long), remained unchanged and both types were interchangable.

If you have any good original shafts, bushings, bush housings and seals from original Fowler rollers they will be the same as the shats, bushings and seals in the front idlers too.
Fred

JimInOz

Post #19 by JimInOz » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:33 am

Nigel,
Nice pictures & good to see her working.
In the late 90s,I took a pic of a Challenger & a spare ,sitting in a Melbourne car wrecking yard .I think it stayed in Victoria.
I have a single page spec sheet here somewhere..

Jim

Topic author
Tassie fowler

Post #20 by Tassie fowler » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:36 am

Further update of repairs. Track frame off, ground inner rails away to allow Cat D7G double flange rollers to fit between. Cat rollers use 7/8" bolts to mount, where as Fowler frames have 5/8" BSF threads. 7/8" bolts will be machined down and 5/8" thread machined on. Will clean frames and paint prior to refitting. About to order ITR chains to suit D7D, but will need to have shortened by 1 link.

Still removing broken rock guard bolts. Will update when chains arrive.
Nigel.

Return to “Dozers”