Track info, guides and guards

Discuss dozers here

Topic author
AussieMF

Track info, guides and guards

Post #1 by AussieMF » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:37 pm

After some info on track guides/ guards on my IH TD9B.
I have only just bought it, and threw the left track 3 times on the weekend. I know it is missing the centre guards on the left track both inner and outer, but the right side is still there. I thought these were only to help stop rocks getting in the. not realising they also help with keeping your tracks on.
We were on a side slope left track down so it did have a lot of weight on it, but mostly at the rear as we were sort of uphill facing.
I have taken some pictures to try and show what is going on.
The very front guard/ guide is welded in place to the main H beam where the front track wheel is, the missing centre guards are bolt on, and then there is rear guards that are welded the same as the front.
How much gap should there be between the chain and the guide/ guard. I can see where they have obviously been built up at some stage, but there would be close to a 2 inch gap in some places, in others about 1".
How close should the shoulder be to the chain to help stop the tracks jumping off.
Any info greatly appreciated.

Some pics

My mate hard at work helpin get it back on

This is the welded guide on the inside front left idler wheel, you can se how much gap there is

outside left front

Inside right front

The centre guide on the right track, which is missing on the left track

The spare parts the seller gave me not knowing what it was :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

It was a good learning experience to get the track back on, as i've never had to do anything like it before, thankfully the hydraulics are good enough to lift the whole machine off the ground otherwise we would have been stuffed.
Being on a side slope just made things more interesting. :dizzy:

martyn williams

Re: Track info, guides and guards

Post #2 by martyn williams » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:16 pm

Hello Ashley
I would first make sure that you have correct track tension and that all your rollers and idlers are not worn too much.
Martyn

spod

Post #3 by spod » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:45 pm

Ashley, looking at your photos I would say youve got a fair bit of general wear there, especially noted the shamfered top edge of the links that coupled with roller flange wear enables the track to run off under any stress.The rock guards are just that and wont really prevent the track coming off if it decides to do so. You did well to get the track back on I had a machine with similar problems years ago I became very good at getting back to work quickly after it threw a track and I learned what to avoid as well. Sorry cant help more All the best

IANOZ

Post #4 by IANOZ » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:01 pm

Hi Aussie mf , The second last photo ,did you have the machine still jacked up on the blade and rippers ? As the rollers arerunning onthe top of the rail ,not sitting downon the rails .The bushs in the photos dont show much external wear but you can see the internal pin showing in the way the track twisted sideways . What sort of track adjuster is on it ?manual screw it in and out ,or a hydralic one that you pump up with grease . Can you see the recoil spring to see if it is broken. .It could be a lot of little things that add up to a big problem. .The front idler bushs could be worn,the track adjuster if its grease ,the seal could be buggered and letting the track come loose. Did you get your mate to watch as you were going along to see if he could see what was happening .I myself cant see too much wrong with the tracks If the rollers were too worn it should show wear on the pin boss but unless inter chains are diferent to caterpillarones .There seem,s to be reasonable height in the rails , But back to the original question ,yes those trackgaurds are woirn and could be built up a fair bit. Not sure how much clearance you need between them and the track plates,,i would think around an inchfrom the plate. ian.

Jon Umpleby

Post #5 by Jon Umpleby » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:14 pm

Hi AussieMF I know just what your going through but i dont think you have anything to worry about .It looks like you are working in a forest enviroment thats the worst for throwing tracks off ! I run a D4D in forestry work and have the same bother.It helps having good tracks but it wont make the problem go away.Your tracks look prety good to me.You will find you get to know just before they jump off with practice ,sometimes .Avoid slewing on uneven ground and on side slopes and you should be OK .Best of luck Jon

Topic author
AussieMF

Post #6 by AussieMF » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:27 am

IANOZ wrote:Hi Aussie mf , The second last photo ,did you have the machine still jacked up on the blade and rippers ? As the rollers arerunning onthe top of the rail ,not sitting downon the rails .The bushs in the photos dont show much external wear but you can see the internal pin showing in the way the track twisted sideways . What sort of track adjuster is on it ?manual screw it in and out ,or a hydralic one that you pump up with grease . Can you see the recoil spring to see if it is broken. .It could be a lot of little things that add up to a big problem. .The front idler bushs could be worn,the track adjuster if its grease ,the seal could be buggered and letting the track come loose. Did you get your mate to watch as you were going along to see if he could see what was happening .I myself cant see too much wrong with the tracks If the rollers were too worn it should show wear on the pin boss but unless inter chains are diferent to caterpillarones .There seem,s to be reasonable height in the rails , But back to the original question ,yes those trackgaurds are woirn and could be built up a fair bit. Not sure how much clearance you need between them and the track plates,,i would think around an inchfrom the plate. ian.

G'day Ian. All the pics except the 1's where we'd thrown the track are on level ground with the full weight of the machine on it's tracks.
All the guard piccies are on flat ground, resting.
You let me know when you have a spare arvo or weekend and throw a swag in and come for a drive and i'll show you around and we can play machines.
8-) 8-)

Forgot to add, the tensioner is hydraulic grease pump up and they looked to be holding tension well. I have just been through the track tension situation on my MF200 so have been watching these 1's like a hawk.
The recoil springs there is 2 side by side on each side and they both look good.

Topic author
AussieMF

Post #7 by AussieMF » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:49 am

Jon Umpleby wrote:Hi AussieMF I know just what your going through but i dont think you have anything to worry about .It looks like you are working in a forest enviroment thats the worst for throwing tracks off ! I run a D4D in forestry work and have the same bother.It helps having good tracks but it wont make the problem go away.Your tracks look prety good to me.You will find you get to know just before they jump off with practice ,sometimes .Avoid slewing on uneven ground and on side slopes and you should be OK .Best of luck Jon

Yer it's not fun, this is the first time I have had to get tracks back on, am only fairly new to dozers and stuff. This 1 particular spot is very loose shaily rock and it is hard for me to drive straight up and down the slope.
I had driven it about 1km to get to here on even and bumpy tracks, but not across slopes

IANOZ

Post #8 by IANOZ » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:44 pm

Hi Ashley , Mate if you look at the second last photo ,the track rail is sitting on the roller flange for some reason . Maybe it was walking off again then ,but check that someone hasn't put too narrow a rollers on it .There was a machine on the heavy equipment forum a while ago .It had brand new tracks on it but they were too wide and sitting onthe flanges like in your photo . My son said also look at the trackframe alignment. .The photo looking down on the bushs show the sprocket is driving on one side not in the middle .Measure across the back of the tracks and then at the front to see if they are running straight. From what i read on the redpower forum about TD9Bs they reckon their a good machine ,One guy did say there was a warning sticker on his machine to say do not leave the machine running in neutral to long as it will over heat the transmission . That will give you a couple of things to check next time . ian.

Topic author
AussieMF

Post #9 by AussieMF » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:56 pm

Nothing looked out of alignment but next time I go up there I'll double check it all.
I know the rollers are correct as he gave me a few old buggered 1's and 1 good near new 1 as a spare.
I readi n the owners manual about the transmission over heating if it is left idling, it says to only use full power and nothing else, but I reckon our problem with climbing the hill was due to a fair bit of moisture in the oil as it was quite white, which would airate the oil and cause it to lose it's lubricating ability

IANOZ

Post #10 by IANOZ » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:05 pm

Hi Ashley , Did you happen to feel the front idler for side ways movement while the track was off? .To lose it that many times there must be some thing badly worn to be causing it ..ian.

Return to “Dozers”