hardly used

Discuss dozers here

Topic author
d4c24a

hardly used

Post #1 by d4c24a » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:54 pm

i first saw this machine some 10 years ago whilst working in British army camps ,i passed the same camp on Saturday and sure enough its still there on display, the weather is taking its toll the pre cleaner and exhaust have rotted and the oil filler cap is missing :shock: i am going to try and put my name on it if it ever comes up for disposal
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
knowing less and less about more and more until pretty soon i will know almost nothing about practically everything

Nick Drew

Re: hardly used

Post #2 by Nick Drew » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:06 pm

Hi Graham,

Great to see you around and posting again, Do I take it that is a D4 ....D4 ??

Is that in Aldershot or maybe Farnborough ??

Nick

rvannatta

Post #3 by rvannatta » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:42 pm

Nick Drew wrote:Hi Graham,

Great to see you around and posting again, Do I take it that is a D4 ....D4 ??

Is that in Aldershot or maybe Farnborough ??

Nick

My take is that they are better if they are used than sitting for an eternity, as all the bearings that are up end up rusting
and you end up having to take the machine completely down and overhaul everything.

Topic author
d4c24a

Post #4 by d4c24a » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:42 pm

hi nick yes Ive been a bit busy lately laying pipe and more pipe :dizzy: ,the machine is up country off the A10
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
knowing less and less about more and more until pretty soon i will know almost nothing about practically everything

Nick Drew

Post #5 by Nick Drew » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:47 pm

Well its better to be busy than sat at home I guess.....Or so the Mrs keeps telling me !! ;)

Got a Cat 312C now then ? Better then the Komatsu?

Nick.

Topic author
d4c24a

Post #6 by d4c24a » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:27 am

the cat is more powerful,but that one was a bit sloppy ,4600 hours of selfdrive its bound to be ,unfortunatly the sump gasket sprung a big leak so it was swopped over for a 312b which seemed a bit smother ,but then i only had 5mins on it friday afternoon we will see how it performs today cheers graham

rvannatta

Post #7 by rvannatta » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:46 pm

d4c24a wrote:the cat is more powerful,but that one was a bit sloppy ,4600 hours of selfdrive its bound to be ,unfortunatly the sump gasket sprung a big leak so it was swopped over for a 312b which seemed a bit smother ,but then i only had 5mins on it friday afternoon we will see how it performs today cheers graham

Whats loose---problems with the boom joints--- or just bad tracks....?

Topic author
d4c24a

Post #8 by d4c24a » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:11 pm

hi rvannatta its lack of grease ,it needed the quick hitch repining and shimming out and a few other pins and bushes , just the usual lack of grease self drive machine :x it went back cleaner and with more grease in it than it came with i know that much :thumbs_up:

rvannatta

Post #9 by rvannatta » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:54 am

d4c24a wrote:hi rvannatta its lack of grease ,it needed the quick hitch repining and shimming out and a few other pins and bushes , just the usual lack of grease self drive machine :x it went back cleaner and with more grease in it than it came with i know that much :thumbs_up:

OK, Im beginning to understand. There is a bit of a language barrier. "self drive" is not a term we would use in the US and I didnt immediately figure out what it meant. As you go forth, I gather from the context that you are referring to what we would call a "rental machine".

Those machines often being rented out for short periods of time, are as you say often neglected and abused by the operators on the assumption that they will be long returned to the rental yard
before the lack of grease, etc. causes failure.

nixs

Post #10 by nixs » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:02 am

Precisely, it is what wee in Sweden uses to say about imported machines, often from England and from Rental service, they can have 2000 hours on the clock but be worn as they there driven 4000-6000 hours. Just as simple as lack of service and greasing!

Return to “Dozers”