Fowler 3

Discuss dozers here

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Re: Fowler 3

Post #11 by FOWLER MAN » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:41 am

Mrsmackpaul wrote:I have never seen anything like that Fred I do wonder how successful they were but I guess hydraulics came into there own and we will never know now
Still learning stuff everyday

Paul

I think that equipment was made by W E Bray for various tractors and I don't think many saw the light of day. The pic. is from the early 1950s when as you say hydraulics were improving and taking over.
The early hydraulics used large bore rams and low volume pumps, they worked at about 1,000 lbs. pressure and they were slow. By the early fifties most had sorted that out, adopted high volume pumps, lighter smaller bore rams and the working pressures were up to 2,000 lbs. or more.

Some of the old operators preferred the cable blade but one of the problems was that unless you had a front mounted winch driven directly from the engine you annoyingly lost drive to the winch, (blade), as soon as you disengaged the main clutch.
The rope rarely lasted more than three or four months specially if you had an inexperienced operator who dropped the blade too fast. If he was then too slow on the winch brake when the blade hit the floor the cable would run on and the slack cable could jamb up.
Another problem was the blades were always made very heavy to penetrate the ground so the tractor would nose-dive when you were backing up on soft ground.

Firm I worked for in the 60s had three Ex. Army D7s with cable blades.
The old cables were a b##### to handle with "tin soldiers" ready to stab you through the thickest of gloves.
The secret was to catch them in time, weld or braze the end of the new cable to the old one and use the Land rover to pull them through.
Fred

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #12 by FOWLER MAN » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:11 am

Hi,
I found another pic of the Challenger 3 with "power down" cable blade.

dpan
Flag: United States of America

Post #13 by dpan » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:09 pm

Would be an interesting system at pcu to control raise, lower, hold and float. A good idea attempting to make operation more productive.

Tassie fowler
Flag: Australia

Post #14 by Tassie fowler » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:34 am

Hi.
Very interesting pictures and information, I'm enjoying it, keep the pics coming.
We think our 3 served time in the army going by some of the colors of paint on it. and doesn't have any reduction box or hubs. I have some pictures to upload in another thread.

What is the attachment on the back of the army one?

George

just dozin

Post #15 by just dozin » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:59 am

G'Day,
nice pic's, there's one thing though that i noticed with cable blades on youtube, they would be a bit unsteady, and rock side to side a bit.making it harder to do roads on slopes. my challenger is hydraulic, but it's slow so i guess it's a early one, but it does the job.

Topic author
Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Post #16 by Mrsmackpaul » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:49 pm

Tassie fowler wrote:Hi.
Very interesting pictures and information, I'm enjoying it, keep the pics coming.
We think our 3 served time in the army going by some of the colors of paint on it. and doesn't have any reduction box or hubs. I have some pictures to upload in another thread.

What is the attachment on the back of the army one?

George

Gudday George sorry for not answering your questions sooner dunno how I missed the question but I did

the attachment on the rear of the army one is a double drum power control unit used for cable scrapers and rippers they were also used on some big offset disc ploughs and no doubt a whole heap of other stuff

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Return to “Dozers”