Track Marshall - Perkins - CAV BPE4A fuel injection pump

Discuss dozers here

Topic author
TM?
Flag: Australia

Track Marshall - Perkins - CAV BPE4A fuel injection pump

Post #1 by TM? » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:32 am

The Perkins L4 has a CAV - BPE4A injection pump, is my interpretation of this device appear correct?

The bottom plaque says - "When installing this pump, remove inspection cover then fill with engine oil to level of drain" - I find this difficult to understand however as I have to ensure it's complete and working property and therefore must remove it, perhaps someone can explain it better as I thought this would be pumping fuel not oil.

I can tell the restoration of this machine is going to be a bit of a learning curve, hopfully some of you more informed persons can smooth out the bumps. Chat soon !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Re: Track Marshall - Perkins - CAV BPE4A fuel injection pump

Post #2 by FOWLER MAN » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:04 pm

Hi,
The oil is required to lubricate the cam shaft and bearings in the bottom of the pump.
Some engines use fuel oil to do the lubrication, this is done automatically but others like the L4 require to be filled with engine oil.

There is no filler on the L4 pump so as it says you need to undo the two screws, remove the side plate from the pump gallery and pour in a little clean oil.
The drain will either be a level plug you can remove or a small banjo with an open coil of pipe attached to form a dust trap but still allow surplus oil to escape. On the L4 I think it will be a plug.
Either way you should find it on the side of the pump about 3/4 inch. above the bottom.

The oil in the pump can dilute from internal seepage of fuel over time, so it is good practice to check it occasionally, you can't drain it so remove the side plate and keep topping it up till only clean good oil runs from the level plug.

Looking at the corrosion on the delivery valve holders where the injector pipes attach to the pump you may find some of the valves are stuck and need to be freed. If so I will try to explain how.
Hope this helps.
Fred

Return to “Dozers”