Track Marshall - Perkins L4 Motor

Discuss dozers here

Topic author
TM?
Flag: Australia

Track Marshall - Perkins L4 Motor

Post #1 by TM? » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:10 am

The machine I recently acquired has a frozen L4 Perkins motor in it - thank the lord above for Youtube I'm going to give a 50/50 mix of Acetone and brake fluid to see if I can free it up - any other valid suggestions of help will be taken on board and I'm happy to share the photos of the project as we go forward. I'll be doing a final post on the fuel pump from this motor separately as I think it could be a topic on it's own. The injectors have been removed and are presently being tested and repaired - I decided to leave this task to the experts as the $ was not that excessive, although I do wish I'd watched Bundy bears repair on the Field Marshall injector before hand.

13529239_1025785644175094_6569297673628551368_n.jpg

2016-07-04 11.45.41.jpg

2016-07-04 11.45.55.jpg

2016-07-04 11.46.30.jpg

2016-07-04 11.46.42.jpg

2016-07-04 11.46.48.jpg

Still figuring out how to use this site, however - Looking forward to the ensuring conversation.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mrsmackpaul

Re: Track Marshall - Perkins L4 Motor

Post #2 by Mrsmackpaul » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:36 am

Gudday Chris is the L4 a sleeved motor ?? You can use a jack on the flywheel on a lot of motors and gently rock force it back and forth to free it
This has to be done with the heads on if the motor has sleeves otherwise the sleeves get pushed out of the block and the job gets a lot bigger

If its had no water in it you will be surprised how well motors can come up

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #3 by FOWLER MAN » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:04 pm

Mrsmackpaul wrote:Gudday Chris is the L4 a sleeved motor ?? You can use a jack on the flywheel on a lot of motors and gently rock force it back and forth to free it
This has to be done with the heads on if the motor has sleeves otherwise the sleeves get pushed out of the block and the job gets a lot bigger

If its had no water in it you will be surprised how well motors can come up

Paul

Hi Paul the L4 has wet sleeves which are only a hand push fit so as you say the engine needs to be freed with the head on.
It may sound strange but I have had some success on seized corroded bores using vinegar to help break the corrosion.
You will probably need to hone the bores after freeing the engine at very lleast. :think:

It may be worth mentioning here that like the old "P" and "R" series Perkins engines if new pistons are and sleeves are fitted There is a problem. :roll:
The sleeves push in easily and present no problem but the piston crowns need to be checked for height above the face of the block.
They should be between 7 thou." and 12 thou." ABOVE" the face of the block. "THEY MAY ALL BE DIFFERENT." :?

This is easily checked with a feeler gauge and straight-edge. ( Do up the big ends but leave the rings off the pistons to check this). :thumbup:
If high the piston crown must be reduced in a lathe. Perkins said that low pistons should be dis-guarded but I think if you fitted a low piston it would only make a tiny difference to performance and do no harm. :think:
If pistons that are high are fitted they will hammer the head and I have heard and seen the result. :doh:
I hope you don't need to know all this. :lol:
Fred

Mrsmackpaul

Post #4 by Mrsmackpaul » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:14 pm

Fred vinegar doesnt surprise me at all we pour vinegar down our irrigation bores when the wet season is going and the bores arent been used as we have iron in the water and the bores can get corrosion built up on the plastic casing the vinegar eats the corrosion of we lift the water and drop it half a dozen times every few days and the crap that comes out after a month or two and the smell phew and yuck LOL

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Return to “Dozers”