Steering problems on MF 300 crawler

Discuss dozers here

Topic author
Als Garage
Flag: New Zealand

Steering problems on MF 300 crawler

Post #1 by Als Garage » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:35 pm

Hi,
Are you guys still discussing MF 300 crawler steering issues? I saw old posts on this from back in 2007. I have and MF 300 tracked loader and have intermitant steering issues.
Not 100% sure if it is brakes or clutches not releasing. Sometimes it will lock a track and steer on a dime and other times no matter how hard you stamp on the pedal it will only slowly drift off in that direction. Tried the bleeding nipple on the filter (steering clutch filter is the single one on the LHS in front of pedals. Twin filters on the other side are for the power shift). Next plan is to change filters but could use a bit of help to trouble shoot this problem. Maybe low steering clutch oil pressure but no sign of air in the system, full of clean oil and no visible suction side leaks. Might run it into a bucket for 30 seconds to make sure pump is working ok and put a gauge in the system if I can find a port. Seems slightly different adjustment on either side. Brake are moves a bit when you push LHS but not on RHS.
Could use a maintenance manual if any one has a pdf copy. Swap you for a parts manual. Would also like an operators manual.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Alistair

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Re: Steering problems on MF 300 crawler

Post #2 by Mrsmackpaul » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:18 am

Gudday and welcome I am of no use at all here but Im sure some one will point you in the right direction pretty quick

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Topic author
Als Garage
Flag: New Zealand

Re: Steering problems on MF 300 crawler

Post #3 by Als Garage » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:59 pm

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the welcome. How are things down in Sunny Aus? I am now living in Scotland but back down under quite frequently. The MF300 was used here by building contractors in the 70s but I found my one on a farm (in a sad state with a con rod through the block). I thought and engine swap might be an easy fix as maybe it was all working when it went bang. Found some more posts on this site regarding the MF 300 from Martyn in Wales and another Aussie - Jim.
Good videos of Martyn's machine working - leads to links below:

Newbie with MF-300 - The Classic Machinery Network
www.classicmachinery.net › Board index › Earthmoving Equipment › Track Loaders
18 Aug 2012 - ... CMN, having recently acquired a Massey Ferguson MF-300 crawler ... of experience and expertise on such machines on this forum when I ...
MF 300 As new.. 12 Jul 2014
M F 300 at work 10 Feb 2013
MF 244 Crawler - Page 2 14 Jun 2012
Massey Ferguson 244 crawler loader - Page 3

On the hunt for Manuals (ops and maintenance) if anyone has a scan. Swap for parts manual pdf.

Will keep you posted if I find a fix.

Al

Return to “Dozers”