Marshall 55?

Discuss dozers here

Topic author
Pejones21
Flag: Wales

Marshall 55?

Post #1 by Pejones21 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:19 pm

Hi All,
Thought I'd share a few pics of this old girl sat on the farm. She's been in the same spot for around 20 years. She seized up heading back to the farm and that's where she's sat since. Probably a bit far gone to save now, track chains are rusted badly, rocker cover has rusted away. Sprockets are in quite good nick tho!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Marshall 55?

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:25 pm

Nice one an easy rebuild there for Fred :thumbup: Fred are you up for it?

Jeremy

Topic author
Pejones21

Post #3 by Pejones21 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:42 pm

I really don't think you'd rebuild this one. It looks a lot better in the pics than it actually is

FOWLER MAN

Post #4 by FOWLER MAN » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:04 pm

Hi,
I think the 55 if probably one too far.
You could probably sort out an engine for it but looking a the pics I think the tracks are probably shot anyway.
They look as if they've seen a bit of service.
The grousers have at some time been built up with grouser strip so the chains have probably been pinned and bushed at some stage too.
That would explain why the link rails are well worn.
The idlers are well back and there seems to be plenty of adjustment but looking at the gap between the pads at the back and front I think a link may have been taken out of worn and stretched chains to get that adjustment.
( How many links are there, there should be 33 on a 5 roller machine).
Tracks are the major expense, (if you can find any), it doesn't make sense to embark on a restoration of this type unless the running gear is good.
Fred

Jeremy Rowland

Post #5 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:08 pm

Pejones21 wrote:I really don't think you'd rebuild this one. It looks a lot better in the pics than it actually is

Paul please excuse my little joke here; yes sadly this one is beyond saving and as Fred has pointed out there are too many undercarriage flaws to make it a worthwhile project, which is such a shame.

Jeremy

TM?
Flag: Australia

Post #6 by TM? » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:53 am

Jeremy Rowland wrote:
Pejones21 wrote:I really don't think you'd rebuild this one. It looks a lot better in the pics than it actually is

Paul please excuse my little joke here; yes sadly this one is beyond saving and as Fred has pointed out there are too many undercarriage flaws to make it a worthwhile project, which is such a shame.

Jeremy
- regards the comment of undercarriage flaws - what are you seeing perhaps that I don't see, or have knowledge of. Reason is I just acquired a TM55 and chasing parts but also looking to learn as much as I can about them. Thanks in advance. C

Jeremy Rowland

Post #7 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:50 am

TM? wrote:
Jeremy Rowland wrote:

Jeremy
- regards the comment of undercarriage flaws - what are you seeing perhaps that I don't see, or have knowledge of. Reason is I just acquired a TM55 and chasing parts but also looking to learn as much as I can about them. Thanks in advance. C

Hi Chris and welcome :wave: its the comment above my comment that Fred Evans made about the undercarriage; if you have any questions on these machines Fred has great experience and knowledge and I'm sure he would be able to offer you good advice. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Return to “Dozers”