Steering clutch adjustment fiat 605 c

Discuss dozers here

Topic author
Zekajack
Flag: Australia

Steering clutch adjustment fiat 605 c

Post #1 by Zekajack » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:42 am

Can anyone tell me if there are any tricks or secrets to adjusting the steering clutches on a fiat 605c crawler dozer. I have made the adjustments as per the maintenance sheet, now I have no left hand clutch at all.
I am in Aus and these forums are new to me. Am I on the right track for any feed back on this subject.

Fiat505C

Re: Steering clutch adjustment fiat 605 c

Post #2 by Fiat505C » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:05 pm

Was it working before you made the adjustments?

Can you outline exactly what you did? Were you simply adjusting the throw of the clutch levers to be within spec?

Mrsmackpaul

Post #3 by Mrsmackpaul » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:43 pm

yeah might want to start were Leon says and we can try to help from there

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Topic author
Zekajack

Post #4 by Zekajack » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:06 am

Leon there was very little clutch on the left hand side, also the levers were out of spec. I followed what exactly what was set out in the maintenance sheet, without a result. went back up my mountain hideaway a couple of weeks later and removed the inspection plate on both the right and left hand clutches. I found that turning the adjusting flange in the opposite direction as stated on the maintenance sheet, I had clutch again. So with a bit of trial and error the left hand clutch is back working and I can turn left again.
PS I also found a workshop manual for the 605c. this is a great reference document to have.
Thanks for your post.
Zekajack

Fiat505C

Post #5 by Fiat505C » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:23 am

I'll be attempting to do the same this weekend. I've dialed in my brake bands and adjusted them properly but I find that the steering clutch travel is almost the entire throw of the lever which makes steering awkward as I have to pull back almost into my chest.

I'm wondering if I have to pull the cover and reset the cam to 2mm then try backing out the adjustment nut, or simply trying as you did and just back the nut off.

Everything I read in the workshop manuals talks about what to do if you have too little throw. Nothing about the opposite. Using common sense I would assume you just reverse the process.
Last edited by Fiat505C on Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Zekajack

Post #6 by Zekajack » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:59 am

Leon
If you remove the inspection plates on the top of both clutches, you will be able to see what is happening, and not happening when you pull the clutch levers.You should also be able to work out what adjustments are needed.You will also be able to see the adjustment happening when you get to remove the two studs and start to turn the adjustment flanges on the clutch levers. Turn the flanges in both directions initially to see what adjustments happen. You then choose which direction you have to adjust in. This will make it easier for you set the clutches. You may have to fit and refit the flanges a couple of times to get it right. Looking in from the top you can see it all.
Leon I found a small wrecking bar handy to jamb in to take the pressure off the levers when the flanges were un bolted.
My clutches are working well, I don't have to use the brakes on many occasions as pulling the clutch lever on it's own will allow the 605 to turn slowly on it's own. It responds a lot better on the clutch levers when going up hill.( very little brake required at all).
Hope this is of some help to you.

Zekajack

Fiat505C

Post #7 by Fiat505C » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:54 am

Opened up the inspection covers and it's clearer now how the mechanism works. I have quite a lot of dirty oil covering everything.

Seems to be a lot of water in the bottom as well.

I don't have drain plugs on my Unit to get rid of it. I only have the central plug underneath which is for draining the main drive.

Now for the BIG problem. When putting the inspection cover on I accidentally dropped a bolt down into the body. Big splash and then it was gone. Not sure home to get it out. Perhaps a magnetic retrieval tool could help me. Will have to wait until tomorrow to go buy one

My next question is whether or not there is supposed to be fluid in this cavity? When looking down through the steering clutch inspection portal is the bottom supposed to be dry, or is there supposed to be oil/fluid in there?

Fiat505C

Post #8 by Fiat505C » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:17 am

Managed to retrieve the bolt using a magnetic parts retriever.
I also found that instead of having 2 large plugs that will drain deposits, I have a single dinky 6mm hole tapped into the steering clutch housings. I stuck a rod through them to clear away the gunk and the water drained out.
It's left behind a bunch of dirt and metallic shavings. Will have to try and flush the area out and clean it up.

Topic author
Zekajack

Post #9 by Zekajack » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:16 am

Leon the flushing out could be a bit tedious, but needs to be done prior to completing all the adjustments. You will need to leave it to dry out also. Next question,what are the metallic shavings and where have they come from? Could it be just metal on metal wear or do you think it may be a bit more sinister than that?

Fiat505C

Post #10 by Fiat505C » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:10 am

I flushed out the compartments as best that I could. I used a big of degreaser and wiped it off the steering cams at the top and springs below.
My best guess is that the metallic shaving have simply come off the roller and cam arrangement. They are very fine particles which are sticking to my magnetic parts retriever.
To me at least, it looks like the steering clutch compartments have never been cleaned during the entire life of the machine. I'm thinking that the previous owner was perhaps a little less truthful in getting the clutches and brake bands replaced 50 hours ago. Either that or his mechanic was dishonest. Another alternative is that they did replace the components but didn't bother cleaning anything as they went (which seems unlikely to me).

I have everything adjusted as best as I can, but I'm still not 100% happy with the response of my machine. Sometimes I pull clutch and hit brake and the engine RPM drops (indicating that the clutch isn't disengaging properly). Other times it is fine. I think I just need to get out and work it hard and see how it goes. Just need to find the time to do it.

Return to “Dozers”