Need help with Fiat Hesston 605

Discuss dozers here

Topic author
Paulz

Re: Need help with Fiat Hesston 605

Post #41 by Paulz » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:23 pm

Hi Mates,

Did some substantial work with the dozer last week. Still haven't gotten the right steering clutch to break loose despite soaking in diesel and working the heck out of it.

I made my own pop off testers for the injectors today and set them all. Used an old porta power bodywork jack and some plumbing fittings, worked a treat. Tomorrow I will get them back on the engine, bet it is going to run and start much better, they were all set way to high.

Cheers,
Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #42 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:28 pm

Paul a word of warning here please be careful when testing your injectors because they atomise fuel it is possible for it to pass through your skin and into the blood stream so keep em aimed well away from yourself and anybody in the immediate vicinity. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Post #43 by Mrsmackpaul » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:31 am

thats great news to hear its going better now I gather it starts and runs well

thats a fairly smart idea for pressure testing havent seen it done like that before but I cant see why it wont work as I think Ive said before on here just be careful

might have to pull that steering clutch out to free it

seeya

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Topic author
Paulz

Post #44 by Paulz » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:22 am

Good warning on the injector spray. Only thing around besides me was my dog and he stayed clear, doesn't seem to care for the smell of diesel.

Yes it has been staring with the starter but still taking a prime. The injectors were all set way to high and probably no injecting at turnover speed. I'm hoping now they will, I'll know tomorrow.

What would be your guess as to how long it would take to remove, derust and replace the clutch barring other difficulties? 8 hours? More? Can I do it in the dirt? Need air tools? Can I use a loader or backhoe to lift the parts?

Paul

Mrsmackpaul

Post #45 by Mrsmackpaul » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:41 am

the only steering clutches I have done have been IH ones not sure on these no special tools were required just time and the only thing close to a special tool that I use was a press to hold the clutch together when I took the bolts out then I just lift all the plates give them a quick clean and put them back together they arent normally all rusted up just stuck from no use thats on the ones I have worked on

I have just had a look in the manual on here and it looks like you have to split the tracks maybe might pay you down load the manual and print some pages out then sit and study it beside the machine to get a idea on how long it will take

good luck

Paul

Topic author
Paulz

Post #46 by Paulz » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:52 am

Got the injectors back in today, big difference. It now starts easily (with enough battery power) and idles down to a crawl. So that part is finally done.

Did a couple hours of heavy digging, clutch still stuck. Here is a blowup of the steering clutch. There is an access cover on top where it shows the lever coming up. I parked it sideways on a hill today and poured Marvel Mystery Oil on the clutch hoping it will seep down to the plates. That's about the last thing I can think of to try before taking it apart. I'll try it in a few days. I could also get an oxy/acetylene torch down there and could conceivably get some heat on it but that might lead to trouble.

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mrsmackpaul

Post #47 by Mrsmackpaul » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:30 am

mate I would steer clear of the gas axe might melt seals ect make cheap job into a dear job any that I have done only take time no money

good luck

Paul

Fiat505C

Need help with Fiat Hesston 605

Post #48 by Fiat505C » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:39 pm

Nice to see another Fiat. I have a 505C which is my first crawler purchase. Likewise my steering to the right is laggy compared to the left. I pulled my rear inspection panel off on the weekend and found the brake band covered in oil. The left wasn't as bad.

It realistically sounds like you'll have to pull the machine apart to repair it properly.

I'm currently in the same boat as you, although mine will steer , just not well.

I think the big time consuming job will be removing the master pin to split the tracks. Depending on how corroded and dirty it is, it may take a while. Having never done anything like this before, I can see the job taking at least a full weekend, perhaps 2.

I've uploaded quite a bit of material to this site on the 355C, 455C, 505C and 605C.
Make sure you download them all.
There's not too much differentiating the models other than size.
For some reason the mods split up the workshop and user manuals into different sections of the downloads. I think some are in tractors and others in earthmoving. Can't quite remember.

Topic author
Paulz

Post #49 by Paulz » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:16 pm

Howdy! You are the reason I joined Classic Machinery! I've downloaded the relevant manuals, thank you! The Italian ops manual was a bit of a struggle but I think I have most of it figured out. I spent 2 hours pushing dirt with it yesterday, it seems to be a real workhorse, not a hint of a problem. Clutch still stuck, I'm surprised with the amount of heavy work I gave it, all with the lever pulled back. Short of putting the torch down there, and I agree it's probably a bad thing though it looks like you could hit the clutch pretty well, it's got to come apart. To compound the labor mine has this confounded apparently aftermarket roll cage that will have to come off. I'm glad it's there since I'm working on steep terrain but it sure gets in the way, as I mentioned above with the starter.

Paul

Fiat505C

Post #50 by Fiat505C » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:50 am

Any updates?

Return to “Dozers”