Need help with Fiat Hesston 605

Discuss dozers here

Topic author
Paulz

Re: Need help with Fiat Hesston 605

Post #51 by Paulz » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:08 am

Ole 'Lefty' has been doing great. I have probably 25 hours on it now, heavy dirt moving all. Setting the injector pop off turned the engine into a real pussycat. The road I am cutting it is pretty steep and it works a treat on it. The right clutch lever is still tight back, I can't believe it has not freed itself by now, but I have learned to compensate. Three ways to turn right, drag the right side of the blade, spin around left till it's pointed in the right direction or back up and turn left.

I've had to do no other work other than check fluids etc.. Been thinking about having the clutch fixed by a shop. I usually do all my own work but I got it for free and haven't had to put a dime into it. If I could have it done for $1,000 or less I'd probably go for it.

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Post #52 by Mrsmackpaul » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:41 am

Paul thats great to hear that all is going well it may take a long time for that steering clutch to free its self if it does at all

looks like some pretty looking country your working in there

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Fiat505C

Post #53 by Fiat505C » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:14 am

Nice looking property. Mine is quite similar, 8 acres of eucalypt forest here in Australia.

Have t had a chance to play with my crawler yet, but your pic is giving me motivation.

Topic author
Paulz

Post #54 by Paulz » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:56 am

Thanks guys. I've seen the eucalyptus forests in Oz, very nice. Mine is 7 acres near San Francisco covered in redwood trees. I have been building a cabin for the last year, including the road and the notch for the cabin. Back on the dozer tomorrow, I have a 20ft. steel shipping container I am going to try and drag up the hill. Maybe that will break that darn clutch loose!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mrsmackpaul

Post #55 by Mrsmackpaul » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:02 am

What part of the wide brown land are you from leon Im in north QLD

Paul a quick hint for dragging the container around chain it onto the blade lift it off the ground at one end if you can and drag it backwards you will find it a lot easier to shift with one of the container of the ground

looks like a nice quiet spot you have there

Paul

Fiat505C

Need help with Fiat Hesston 605

Post #56 by Fiat505C » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:27 am

I'm in the Dandenong Ranges in Melbourne. Just outside Emerald.
Here is my 505C when it was delivered last year sitting on the top of my driveway. Hasn't moved since.
Last edited by Fiat505C on Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mrsmackpaul

Post #57 by Mrsmackpaul » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:23 am

thats a nice spot your in Leon I grew up at Beech Forest south of Colac very steep and wet Dad bought a brand new 605C and put a blade on it and scrub canopy ect it was mainly used for digging potato's
nice little spot your living in as well Leon it's all flat and no trees were I am surrounded by sugar cane

Paul

Topic author
Paulz

Post #58 by Paulz » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:20 pm

Yes, looks like a nice place you have there. So yesterday I was out of town and stopped by the New Holland dealer where the guy that gave me the crawler said he thought may know more about it. Sure enough, I was able to talk to one of the old mechanics there who remembered it! He said the previous owner used to have it serviced every 4-5 hours! No wonder it's in great mechanical shape. Anyway we got to talking about the stuck clutch, he said the way they get to it is not by splitting the tracks, as stated in the manual, but by some combination of taking off the rear sprocket, jacking up the front and getting the track out of the way without splitting it. I didn't really understand it all. He said still probably $2,500 for them to do it, a couple of days labor. If I do decide to do it myself I will pick his brain again. The other thing I mentioned was that when I filled that area with diesel it poured out through the brake rod hole and that maybe if I parked it on a steep incline it might stand a better chance of soaking the clutch before it runs out. He agreed, it's something I should have done weeks ago but will today.

Mrsmackpaul

Post #59 by Mrsmackpaul » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:30 am

how big is the hole the diesel runs out of I have found those foam ear plugs good for plugging up holes you can roll them up real tight and force them in then they expand back to the seal the hole dont no how well it will work with diesel

Paul

Topic author
Paulz

Post #60 by Paulz » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:38 pm

Hi Paul, that is a good idea, the ear plugs. I had it parked for a few days on a 45 degree slope which soaked the plates plenty but still stuck.

I have gotten my road grade about as good as I can get it, I need to figure out which way to camber the road for drainage, the maybe some gravel finally.

The engine has started to smoke blue quite a bit, as you can see in the photo. Odd because the oil is still super clean, no black at all, and still running great. I have been running it at probably a lower RPM than recommended, usually around 1,500, because it has plenty of power there and is less stressful (on me). I hope I'm not in store for an engine rebuild. Also looks like it may be time to tighten up the track adjustment.

Return to “Dozers”