Batters.How to do 'em

Discuss dozers here

Topic author
68a

Re: Batters.How to do 'em

Post #11 by 68a » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:58 pm

innes wrote:
68a wrote:He returned a few hours later and was already happy with what I had done.'Can you start full time?'he didn't actually know who I was but I assured him that I would come back myself until the batter was passed off and then hand the task over to my stash of old men.'Great' and that was that.
That weekend the Komatsu and 'driver' went away.
More pics and story another time.

Hi Nicky, I went to Coulport base many moons ago to repair an excavator and gave a lift to a dozer driver who was starting that morning on a D6, when I came out of the site a couple of hours later the operator was at the gate waiting for a lift again, it had been raining there for about three weeks and the operator was told to trim some batters,he was a good operator and he tried but could not achieve anything as the muck was like porridge, he told the foreman that he didn't need a dozer operator but a plasterer and was promptly sacked, happy days
Innes

He wouldn't sack him these days Inness as even bad drivers are better than none! :D

Topic author
68a

Post #12 by 68a » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:08 pm

some more
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
68a

Post #13 by 68a » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:15 pm

starting to take shape :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
68a

Post #14 by 68a » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:23 pm

it's getting there

Topic author
68a

Post #15 by 68a » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:30 pm

and last of all the machines.
The D8.Good for the bulk but far too heavy for any side slope work but did what was asked of it.Not bad for a 40 year old veteran.
The D5.A fantastic grading machine with plenty of poke.Still a great little dozer but at 22 years old it deserves an easier ride than big batters.
The 435.With the right pilot pulling the box,it makes cutting batters in the cut look easy.
The D6.This brand new K series trimming tractor is awesome.Loads of power and easy to operate.The blade is super easy and will make any novice driver look like an operator in no time.With an experienced formation operator at the controles this tractor will never be out of work.Ever.....However,this particular D6K has clocked up about 100 hours since July and due to the fact it's only paid for on clock hours I reackon it's costing it's owner money rather than making any.

widget
Flag: Great Britain

Post #16 by widget » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:12 am

As has been said many times before on here.........There are drivers :roll: ........and then there are operators :bow:
Great stuff Nicky :thumbup:
I want to rust out not wear out

tctractors
Flag: Great Britain

Post #17 by tctractors » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:43 am

Dont forget "Back Bladers" there is plenty of them about.
tctractors

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Post #18 by Mrsmackpaul » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:31 am

Sounds like I need one of them D6 K's I might end up looking like I know what Im doing :oops:

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Topic author
68a

Post #19 by 68a » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:41 pm

Paul.It's easier than people make out.Just needs practice.
TC.I hope you put your specticals on and see the grouser marks.No backblading here.
On another note,any younger generation operators that want to EARN money......get your dozer ticket and get good at your job.It's not rocket science.We have enough excavator and dumptruck drivers/operators.We don't have enough dozer pilots either good or bad.
I can think of a number of companies that are having to pay deacent money to idiots that drive shiney,new D6T's etc.They sit there with with a couple of dumpers shuffling bits of muck around all day and reading newspapers thinking that they are good.They're not.

Barney hughes

Post #20 by Barney hughes » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:48 pm

What's a batter ?

Return to “Dozers”