Fowler Challengers

Discuss dozers here

Tassie fowler
Flag: Australia

Re: Fowler Challengers

Post #51 by Tassie fowler » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:49 am

Hello, just reviving this thread. :wave:

This is the 3 with the Meadows engine, it has been sitting here for a long time (late sixties I think)

And this is with the Leyland engine.

It would be nice to have reduction as reverse is too fast, especially since it is a bit steep here, the blade is probably a tad heavy as reversing back up hill makes the rear of machine rare up. and obviously not enough power at that reverse speed.

George

just dozin

Post #52 by just dozin » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:27 am

i agree with reverse being too fast, and not enough guts up hill in reverse. are these pics from your spare parts machines. do you have one running?

Tassie fowler
Flag: Australia

Post #53 by Tassie fowler » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:48 am

The one with the Leyland is running, doing a heap of work on it at the moment, the other is spares. need to update the thread as I am getting stuck back into it this year.

Tassie fowler @ Fowler resto tas

just dozin

Post #54 by just dozin » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:44 pm

G 'Day mine has a winch on the back, was going to take it off but i heard they were a bit front heavy so i left it on to balance it so the back don't rear up. on the power side of things, if you can get hold of a leyland 680, put that in to boost your low down. i've got a horizontal 680 which i want to convert to a vertical and put it in one day. they will go straight in, just getting the time to do it is the problem, one day. i live on steep country so it needs the extra torque.

Topic author
marshallmp6

Post #55 by marshallmp6 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:04 pm

Nigel …….. Your first photo above is of a Challenger Mark III, single reduction, bull gear and pinion final drive. The second final drive photo is a later Challenger 3 M2, double reduction, bull gear/planetary final drive. Although the planetary final drive was officially introduced with the Challenger 3 M2, SOME earlier Mark III's were updated and had the reduction box on the clutch removed and planetary final drives fitted. These machines had to have a double reduction either on the clutch housing OR the final drives otherwise they would be doing about 5 MPH in first gear and 12 MPH in top gear. Re your message regarding spares …………. I have several Challengers from Challenger 1 up to Challenger 4 but unfortunately no spares to sell for any except maybe a few Challenger 1 parts. Cheers.

automotiv
Flag: Great Britain

Post #56 by automotiv » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:03 pm

Pipelayer Aveling Marshall Challenger 33 PL-90
maybe someone can say something about this crawler with sideboom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #57 by FOWLER MAN » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:14 am

Hi,

I have seen this machine advertised and it's not a Challenger 33.
The last of the 33s were produced before the time Leyland took over Marshall Fowler in 1975.
The 33 was superseded by the "Aveling Marshall 140" which is the basis of this pipe-layer. These were produced till 1985 which could tie up with the date stated in the advert.

What doesn't tie up is the claimed 190 h.p. In the picture below you can clearly see the 140 h.p. naturally asperated Leyland 680 with which they were all fitted.

I have never seen this sideboom equipment with hydraulic winches and counterweight though I did work on the earlier mechanical version
(Ex, William Press Pipelines). I immagine the lump in front of the hard-nose houses the hydraulics.

Fred

automotiv

Post #58 by automotiv » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:21 pm

We have one part of service manual, that says this is Avelin Marshall Challenger PL 33-90 (or Challenger 33 PL-90), that related to standard Challenger 33 tractor except front suspension, track rollers, tracks and additional equipment which are covered by separate publications (I don't have this manual), further engine power 140 KW (190 hp), etc.

Other, we did some regular servicing and few repairs and now I can tell you the folowing:
- weight 27000 Kg + 6x600 Kg additional counterweights (around 30 t)
- hydraulic winches "Boughton"
- hyd. pumps fitted with reductor in front of engine radiator driven by cardan shaft (two SPV pumps for winches and one gear pump for counterweight cylinders)
- front bumper is actually hyd. tank
- lifting capacity 25 tons / 3 meters

Also, I wanted to share with you that we had severeal pipelayers and every components of this machine is well made and looks strong and robust compared with other.

I'll send more pictures when we set up crane boom.

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #59 by FOWLER MAN » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:28 pm

Hi,
I ran Challengers for some 40 years and they were always strongly and robustly made and designed for easy maintenance and repair. No special tools or pullers needed to work on the back ends like the Cats. No need to remove the track frames to work on final drives which were easily removed as a unit. :thumbup: Quick and easy, though I wouldn't like to change a main clutch with that side-boom equipment in place :doh: :lol: .
I still think you have wrong info on the engine power. :think:
The "Fowler 33" was 125 hp. which equates to 91.9 KW or 93.2 KW using the American standard.
The "Aveling Marshall 140" was 140 hp. which equates to 102.9 KW or 104.4 American.

Fred
P.S.
It is no surprise to find the winches are Boughton. :think: The whole equipment may have been made by them :?: :?:

automotiv

Post #60 by automotiv » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:24 pm

I guess it is made by Boughton because we found the crane data plate with their logo sign.

Just few more pictures with assembled crane when we tested the machine.

Return to “Dozers”