Wire cutter design for Cat D6B final drive

Discuss dozers here

Topic author
Nickswad
Flag: Australia

Wire cutter design for Cat D6B final drive

Post #1 by Nickswad » Tue May 13, 2014 4:14 am

Hi, I'm just replacing my final drive inner seals due to damage caused by fencing wire entanglement. Does any one have a design or ideas on the fitting of something that will prevent the entry of wire into the bellows area? Would fitting of a number of outer edge sharpened rectangular steel bars to the seal cover work do you reckon or not?
Thanks for your answers.
Nic

tctractors
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Wire cutter design for Cat D6B final drive

Post #2 by tctractors » Tue May 13, 2014 8:14 am

Never seen anything to cut wire etc, the sprocket guards often need replacement also the bolt on guard on the case can need replacing, the sprocket guards are rivit clamped dont bother with this fastening just use nuts-bolts and also weld as poss, I am thinking that you also have popped off your outer cover to check the bearings and gears ? as the D6B liked a bit of fettling inside the case, in usual conditions the labrinth guarding worked well at keeping wire and such like out of the seal location.
tctractors

Topic author
Nickswad
Flag: Australia

Re: Wire cutter design for Cat D6B final drive

Post #3 by Nickswad » Tue May 13, 2014 11:09 am

Hi Tony, yep, replacing seals and tapered bearing, the hard facing is worn. Thanks for the info, I'll ponder a solution to the wire, there is mountains of wire on the boundaries of my place, it is such a nuisance whether on bike dozer or horseback, gradually getting rid of it.
Cheers
Nic

Return to “Dozers”