D6b 62a375 561 pipe layer

Discuss dozers here

Topic author
Nickswad
Flag: Australia

Re: D6b 62a375 561 pipe layer

Post #11 by Nickswad » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:46 pm

Ripper and scoop
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BertusL

Post #12 by BertusL » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:53 pm

Hello Nick, thanks for posting these pictures!
That is one hell of a machine! Still earning its keep, wonderfull!

I edited one of your pictures, see below.

1. Starter switch.
2. Main switch.
3. Fuel pressure gauge, original mounted on top of the fuel filter housing.
4. Engine oil pressure gauge.
5. Amp gauge.
6. Dashboard light, outer shell including semi round glass insert missing.
7. Coolant temp gauge. original has been with a newer type, see the arrow style.
8. Electric circuit breaker, not much left.
9. Hour meter, non original gauge and position, added later on.
10. Opening fill throat gasoline tank pony start engine.
11. Opening exhaust pipe pony start engine.
12. Lighting switch, not much left.

The undercarriage is D6B type, with the exception of the bolt on sprocket segments.
Original the D6B had spoke type sprockets without the interchangeable sprocket segments.
Later on in the years the sprockets with the bolt on segments became available for older types.

The frame of the blade is a Nr.6A frame, available for hydraulic set-up including Nr. 163 hydraulic arrangement or cable operated set-up with Nr. 126 winch arrangement. The blade with this frame would be a angledozer blade, original.

The engine seems to be different looking at the left side of the cilinder head. The original D6B had a N/A engine, naturial aspiration. Later on there was a option to equip the engine with a turbocharged arrangement, these were available for D6B series 44A. Later on the D6B evolved in the D6C, and the gap between the D4C and the D6C was filled up with the D5, a machine very similar to the D6B.

You got a nice machine there, and I would not mind to rake some land with it.

Best regards.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Nickswad

Post #13 by Nickswad » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:22 am

Hi Bertus, thanks so much for identifying those bits for me, I can now order those parts and start getting things back in order dash wise, ATM it has no lights at all, but I want to fit some LED work lights. It is a beautiful machine to operate.
Thanks for the track and frame identification as well, that has always been a mystery to me, from its serial number plate it looks like an American build, I may be wrong.
Does the 62A stand for year of manufacture?

I'm currently stick raking with it pushing up Mulga trash I cut to feed my cattle during a recent drought. I tried the scoop the other month back in my dam, great unit does the job for me.
I expect with the proper maintenance this machine will see me out in another 25 years or so; it will eventually get a new lick of paint as well.

I am very interested in converting the blade to hydraulic swing and tilt so your information on that is very opportune, ta!

Cheers Bertus

Topic author
Nickswad

Post #14 by Nickswad » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:38 pm

Some more engine shots for you Bertus, I worked out it is American made.

Topic author
Nickswad

Post #15 by Nickswad » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:42 pm

I

Topic author
Nickswad

Post #16 by Nickswad » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:49 pm

Stick rake blade set up

BertusL

Post #17 by BertusL » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:43 pm

Hello Nick, thanks for posting these pictures.
In my latest reply I mentioned that I thought that the in engine was of a later type, but after a search I found out that the engine is the same as used in original D6B series 44A. There were 2 versions of the D6B, one version being the wide track gauge, 74", series 44A, and the other being the narrow track gauge, 60", I have to look the serials up for the narrow gauge.

Your machine was built in the USA in 1967 as a 561B pipelayer and later in the years converted back to a D6B bulldozer configuration.
During the years the conversion from pony start to direct start could have been made.

The track chains and the grousers look good, the grousers being the original pattern for a 561B.
You might want to look at the bushings of the tracks, the part that is in contact with the sprocket tooth when in motion.
The sprocket tooth are widening up and that will have a effect on the bushings of the tracks.

I have a Cat undercarriage check list somewhere, I have to find it first and I will send it to you, it gives you a idea of the condition of the undercarriage.

These machines were built to a very high quality and if you check on all fluid levels, replacing them when needed, including the final drives, it will last for many years.

Mounting LED working lights is a good idea, they give plenty of light. You need a new light switch anyway, easy to find from any Cat from that period, renew all wiring of the lighting wireloom, install some fuses + or positive, could be the automotive floating type and make sure there is a good ground - or negative.

In the standard D6B hydraulic arrangement NR.163 there is provision for the movement, up and down, of the blade only. If a tilt cilinder for the blade was to be mounted, it was necessary to install a additional control valve and the operator would control the movement with a pedal type control on the floor.

I have edited 2 of your pictures, see them below and added some scans of old german Cat brochures.

Best regards.

BertusL

Post #18 by BertusL » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:49 pm

Hello Nick, I found some pictures from a D6B serial 44A11778 somewere on a scrapyard.
These pictures are some 10-15 years old and given to me years ago.

Best regards.

Topic author
Nickswad

Post #19 by Nickswad » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:51 am

[i]hi Bertus,
Once again thank you for your great advice and knowledge, it's gratifying to find out the unknown about our machine (my son went halves with me), just knowing the year 1967 is a big help, apart from the othe information you gave.
I'm going out to the dozer this arvo, so will check out the track.
Easter Good Friday here today, hope you enjoy yours.
Cheers

Nic

BertusL

Post #20 by BertusL » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:06 pm

Hello Nick, happy easter to you and your family.
I will look up some more info on your machine this weekend.

Best regards.

Return to “Dozers”