Anyone identify this Dozer of mine.

Discuss dozers here

Topic author
darklegend
Flag: Great Britain

Anyone identify this Dozer of mine.

Post #1 by darklegend » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:30 pm

I think it's an International TD8B or a BTD8?

We've had it for about 25 years now but the last 7 or 8 it's been sat at the bottom of the field having shed a track. The scrappy got the engine running last year with a view to taking it away when the weather was good enough to get his lowloader near but we've started thinking about getting her working again. Half the controls have seized up and the cab has seen better days but it was fine mechanically and everything but the cab is still solid as a rock...

The blade doesn't seem right for other pictures i've seen of TD8s, it was an ex forestry machine apparently so that may have something to do with it, the blade is fixed and the controls have been modified (left - right on the stick I guess used to tilt? doesn't do anything from memory but it's a decade since I drove it!!) Also has 4 pipes on the rear, I guess for a ripper or similar? Not sure how these would be controlled??.

Tempted to get her going (once i've got the 3CX we've just bought sorted and tidied!)

I think the first step in restoring her is to formally identify her though!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jcb4cx

Re: Anyone identify this Dozer of mine.

Post #2 by jcb4cx » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:12 am

thats far to good to scrap :( as for the blade it is unusual :thumbup:
every village has one , is yours missing you

Topic author
darklegend

Post #3 by darklegend » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:38 pm

It's a bit worse than the pics now, but not a lot, cab is a bit holier and all the glass has been taken out by chavs with air rifles but the engine ran, alternator was seized but has been soaked for a few months and dried out and now turns so may go back on. Don't know if he tried the hydraulics and he definately didn't try drive as the fore-aft lever is seized solid as are the track brakes and the right track is half off the front drive gear (adjuster was slack and it dragged off when turning)

I seem to remember you engaged a gear to drive, put the lever forward and upped the revs, individual brakes did each track and there are two levers which perhaps reversed the drive per track, or something else. I seem to remember you could drive each track in different directions and spin on the spot? There was a centre brake pedal that just knocked the throttle back I think too?? Like I say it was at least 10 years ago though, maybe 15... Anyone familiar with these machines?

Deas Plant

Post #4 by Deas Plant » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:14 am

Hi, Darklegend.
WoooHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! I suspect that you have the extended track frame version there. As for that dozer blade, I have a feeling that somebody had a bright idea while on a HYOOOOGE drinking binge and tried to translate it into iron and that is the result. I have NEVER seen anything like it b4 or since. One lift ram in the center of the hard nose, NO tilt braces, NO sway braces - just that one rigid crossbar, certainly smacks of 'roll-yer-own' ter me.

Here is a photo of a 'real' one - 'tractionally embarrassed'. Those steering levers look like you'd need to be an ourang outang to be able use the full travel. Dunno but yours seems to be a bit of hybrid between the dozer version and the loader version.

I have also included a couple of photos of a TD7 control deck for comparison.

Just my 0.02.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You have a wonderful day. Best wishes. Deas Plant.

jcb4cx

Post #5 by jcb4cx » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:26 pm

A contractor near to me had one with the single ram ,and wide tracks ,plus winch ,come for the Antarctic by all accounts
a very similar one was on ebay last year

here is one with a standard blade :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjIPwshgxg0
every village has one , is yours missing you

tctractors

Post #6 by tctractors » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:06 pm

Deas, your slipping or have lost your spec's (Glasses as you are non U.K. ;) ) but you failed to spot the track facing backwards on the "Roll your Own".
tctractors

Topic author
darklegend

Post #7 by darklegend » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:05 am

:doh: Never spotted that. It's shed the one that's on the right way too :roll: Must've been like that for 25 years!

That blade itself must be off something else, it's very well made, not a backyard lashup. you can see where some bracketry has been axed off the main arms though when it was stitched on..

Perhaps the original setup was too weedy for forestry work?

It's almost identical to the one in the video which says it's a TD8B Series 2. Anyone able to confirm that? Google's not so useful...

Deas Plant

Post #8 by Deas Plant » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:58 am

Hi, TCTractors.
Nah, M8. I just figgered that somebody had done it deliberate-like 'cos they were doing a LOT of turning one way. Also, if one track is already half off and some of the controls are seized, the other track being on bass-ackwards is hardly gonna be his biggest problem at the start.

Hi, Darklegend.
Maybe TCT IS right and I do need 'portholes' but I don't see any steering levers in your 'beast', certainly not of the magnitude of the ones in the photos that I posted. Did some mean and miserable SOB steal them or is there some other explanation?

One bloke I know of over in Finland has a Cat D6C that has a cab fitted but the fuel tank has been built into the right side wall of the cab and the steering has been converted to complete pedal steer like the Cat track loaders, still with the UN-loud pedal on the floor but with the brake pedals inter-connected with the steering clutches as well as the brakes - was wondering if something similar had been done to your little jigger.

Those 4 hyd. outlets/connections at the rear would be for some item of drawn equipment but that still begs the question of how to control them? And what for?

A kew-ree-yus mind would like to know.

Just my 0.02.

Topic author
darklegend

Post #9 by darklegend » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:30 am

Steering levers are up on the left hand side just next to the forward reverse lever, they're little things. I'll get a pic at the weekend.

I take it from your description that they are clutches to disengage the drive to that track and the foot pedals are the brakes for each track? Like I say it's a decade since I last drove it so struggling with the memory.

Hydraulics wise, the main lever has 4 positions in a cross formation, forward backward is blade up and down and left right does nothing. I assume left right was for steering the blade and is now blanked. From memory the hole the stick goes through has been 'modified' with a gas axe, it always looked to me like the hydraulic control had been 'fettled' in and I suspected was not the correct one for the job (mainly because it had 4 positions, 2 of which did nothing!)

Perhaps the 4 pipes at the rear are simple flow and returns and the control is done on the attached item? (you'd expect to only need 2 pipes though) My old man seems to recall seeing a similar small dozer with a back actor on when he was buying this one?? There was certainly a scraper box that was a purchase option with his little International, I have a photo somewhere which i'll dig out and scan, he didn't bother with the box as the dozer was to be used for some major landscaping of spoil generated from digging a lake and not much levelling was required.

I'll get some more current photos over the weekend (weather allowing) if anyone is interested. Having watched a few videos of little dozers, it's inspired me to get her going again, could be a usefull little beasty around the land, no point leaving her to rot.

Deas Plant

Post #10 by Deas Plant » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:36 am

Hi, Darklegend.
Hmmmmmmmmm???????????? Int'restin'. The steering lever set-up that you describe was more commonly found on the smaller IH track loaders, i.e., B100. B125, etc.. I found them quite comfortable to use thataway too, the limited time that I had on them. And that was WAY before Cat ever placed the steering controls on their dozers under the left hand like that.

If you can do it, it would be good to save another one from the scrappers and they can be a LOT of fun to punt around a bit of acreage. TCtractors and B100 may be able to help in this endeavour - - - - - If you can discover the right sort of 'fuel' and 'lubricant' to get them started and keep them running. LOL.

If you hunt around long enough, you may just find a diverter valve somewhere to change from the blade hydraulics to those rear lines. As there is no tilt cylinder on that blade, I'd suspect that they put the 'joystick' hydraulic control in there to work two circuits to the rear, maybe for a box as you suggest. Forward-backward to raise and lower the bowl and sideways to dump and close. If you check under that lever assembly, there may be some linkage going to another control valve that is doing nothing unless you do have a box behind it requiring the second circuit.

Just my 0.02.

Return to “Dozers”