Ascroft moves D11

Discuss dozers here

argie
Flag: Wales

Re: Ascroft moves D11

Post #11 by argie » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:49 pm

Yes Julian, we have to notify every council / police force / network rail / etc of our intended route and get permission to move it re. bridge weight limits, street furniture etc etc. we have to give at least 48hrs notice so it is quite a complex job.

As we know Kev, Ascroft are a reputable haulage company that undertake all of the above on a regular basis but there are a few companies who regularly move plant around the UK that don't do any of these.............. :o
Paul

Julian

Post #12 by Julian » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:01 pm

kev@ascroft wrote:, hence why you will prob see trailers with even more axles before long.
Kev

Thanks. Off on a tangent now but I can never understand this axle thing.

For example, my 30 year old King swan-neck trailer has two axles at the rear with 4 regular lorry wheel sized wheels on each, ie 8 wheels in total. Modern trailers all seem to be tri-axle with those super single wheels, so only 6 wheels it total. And less width so a smaller patch of tarmac gets 'hit' three times with the passing of the trailer verses a wider patch getting 'hit' twice with the old system. Plus the extra tyre scrubbing when turning tightly.

It seems to me that the nearside lanes on motorways are getting more tramline ruts as a consequence?

Julian.

Julian

Post #13 by Julian » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:03 pm

argie wrote:
Yes Julian, we have to notify every council / police force / network rail / etc of our intended route and get permission to move it re. bridge weight limits, street furniture etc etc. we have to give at least 48hrs notice so it is quite a complex job.

As we know Kev, Ascroft are a reputable haulage company that undertake all of the above on a regular basis but there are a few companies who regularly move plant around the UK that don't do any of these.............. :o
Paul

I know of some who tow 15 ton excavators on low-loader trailers behind big 6 cylinder John Deere tractors. 25 old fashioned tons is the limit in the UK for agricultural tractors :o

Julian.

Ross

Post #14 by Ross » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:08 pm

Av done a few Complete rebuilds on D11R's & T's .. Should take no more than a week to strip it and around 6 weeks to rebuild .. Thats if they use a Reman Engine.

GIZZY
Flag: Great Britain

Post #15 by GIZZY » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:47 am

Nice pictures Kev :thumbup:

Mr_Bulldozer_UK

Post #16 by Mr_Bulldozer_UK » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:19 pm

kev@ascroft wrote:No problem Jeremy, got another one to do this week so looks like Finnings have a customer wanting a couple

Great pictures kev. I dont suppose you know when the one this week will be moved ? Please.
I would love to see it on the road and get some pictures. I am near Ipswich, so you would be passing close by. I take it you use the A120/A12/A14
Cheers
Fred

Topic author
kev@ascroft

Post #17 by kev@ascroft » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:54 pm

Im in harwich tonight ready to load in the morning Fred, probably be loaded by 10 ish but unfortnatly we are routed down the 120/A12,M25/ M40 to avoid weight limit on A14 somewhere. Bit of a long way round but that is how it is sometimes sorry,
Kev

Mr_Bulldozer_UK

Post #18 by Mr_Bulldozer_UK » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:37 pm

Thanks for that Kev, Sadly, I am busy tomorrow. Otherwise I would have caught you on the 120/12 South bound. Yes the 14 is a bit of a pain in places, It could well be the bridge at Stowmarket, ALE took a 105 Tonne transformer over it a few years back in the middle of the night. They had to have the rest of the traffic diverted off, so they could have the bridge to themselves !! There is also a low bridge over between Stowmarket and Ipswich. They have to divert the boats and high loads etc off, onto the old main road through the villages. It Causes mayhem. Bad planning on someones behalf, when they built that road and its over bridges.
Good luck and have a safe trip.
Cheers
Fred

martinB50

Post #19 by martinB50 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:12 pm

Went to finnings yesterday didnt see the D11 :think: ...but saw the blade :o my god that thing is big!!! proping up a couple of 777 skips :D

Topic author
kev@ascroft

Post #20 by kev@ascroft » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:33 pm

Your right there Martin, think its the skips proping up the Blade more like. Its one big beast eh?

Return to “Dozers”