Mini Excavators Queries

Discuss compact excavators here

adg
Flag: Wales

Re: Mini Excavators Queries

Post #31 by adg » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:41 am

Apologies for gatecrashing the post, there are some really interesting comments posted....

I've also beeen toying with the idea of buying an old (used/abused) 1.5 - 3 ton mini digger, I have enough small jobs between my own property and my immediate neighbours to keep an old machine chugging away for some time, the type of work that would be difficult to justify hiring a machine for...

I was wondering how much I should expect to pay for a late 80's- 90's machine, I don't expect to buy a wear free machine and I'm happy to get the spanners out - I would also consider buying something similar to machine suggested by MrF.

Also any suggestions on a make or models I should look out for?

Cheers

Al

Julian

Post #32 by Julian » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:11 am

adg wrote:Apologies for gatecrashing the post, there are some really interesting comments posted....

I've also beeen toying with the idea of buying an old (used/abused) 1.5 - 3 ton mini digger, I have enough small jobs between my own property and my immediate neighbours to keep an old machine chugging away for some time, the type of work that would be difficult to justify hiring a machine for...

I was wondering how much I should expect to pay for a late 80's- 90's machine, I don't expect to buy a wear free machine and I'm happy to get the spanners out - I would also consider buying something similar to machine suggested by MrF.

Also any suggestions on a make or models I should look out for?

Cheers

Al

Al, that's exactly the route I went down, I have enough little jobs around the place (bashing in fence posts, digging tree stumps, leveling planings, the odd bit of field draining work etc etc, and also it doubles up as a bloody good engine crane!) But hard to justify the cost of hiring.
I suggest a Jap grey import machine a- I've got a 2 ton Mitsubishi. (CAT badged in the UK) So much better than UK machines as UK machines are generally jingle-jointed clapped out things as the average British worker is far too lazy to get out the grease gun and/or change the oil!
Go for one without all those stupid servo controls and daft electronic engine management things, that'll just give you years of trouble and expense!

If you are in the North-West (your profile doesn't say) then I'd give Cautrac a ring and see what they have on the yard.

Julian.

adg

Post #33 by adg » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:28 pm

Julian, I'm based near Lampeter, Mid Wales (Profile now updated). You descibe the sort of jobs I'll expect it to do perfectly.

Just taken a quick look on Cautrac's web site - impressive range of machines.

Julian

Post #34 by Julian » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:23 pm

adg wrote:Julian, I'm based near Lampeter, Mid Wales (Profile now updated). You descibe the sort of jobs I'll expect it to do perfectly.

Just taken a quick look on Cautrac's web site - impressive range of machines.

I recommend that you phone Craig Taylor, the manager, on 01204 791122. If you really are serious about it then I feel certain that he'll help to find you the right machine, even if there's not a suitable one in the yard right now. My Mitshubishi digger was sold to me at a very reasonable prices and came serviced and with a new track fitted.

I would hate to be without one!

Julian.

adg

Post #35 by adg » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:38 pm

Thanks very much Julian, I'll give Craig a call in the week and start the ball rolling.

This is just the sort of machine to complement my tractors (FE20 and MF35) and the 1 tonne hydraulic tip electric start dumper I bought a little time ago (must post a couple of pic's in the dumper section sometime soon).

Julian

Post #36 by Julian » Mon May 07, 2012 10:15 am

Bloody commercial advertisers spoiling the forum - bog off!!

Julian.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #37 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed May 09, 2012 1:12 pm

Julian wrote:Bloody commercial advertisers spoiling the forum - bog off!!

Julian.

Sorted Julian :thumbup:

Jeremy

Return to “Compact Excavators”