jcb 8080 excavator

Discuss compact excavators here

JimInOz
Flag: Australia

Re: jcb 8080 excavator

Post #51 by JimInOz » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:41 pm

Good on yer,Ian.....now take that thing to the nearest cliff-face & let her go. :thumbs_up:
Or...put her to work & wear out another part. :dizzy:

Another JCB parts outlet I found on the net: Baujoker Kft.

Jim

Topic author
IANOZ

Post #52 by IANOZ » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:12 am

HI GUYS,I GOT SEVEN HOURS OUT OF IT BEFORE I TOOK IT BACK TO THEM. THEY REPLACED THE ALTENATOR AS THEY SAID IT WAS THE CAUSE OF THE COMPUTER DYING, NOW THE BATTERY IS BOILING DRY AND THE ALTERNATER FAULT LIGHT AND BUZZER ARE GOING OFF THEIR BRAINS . OF COURSE IT DIDN"T DO IT WHEN I PICKED IT UP FROM THEM AND LIGHT AND BUZZER ARE NOT COMMING ON NOW I HAVE TAKEN IT BACK TO THEM .BUT THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO SMELL THE BATTERY ACID. INNES IF YOU ARE READING THIS THEIR TELLING ME THE ALTERNATOR WAS SPIKING AND SENDING AC CURRENT TO THE COMPUTER AND THATS WHAT STUFFED IT. IS THAT RIGHT OR POSSIBLE??? IAN.

Robban_C

Post #53 by Robban_C » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:08 am

Ian, we are all very sorry to read that your troubles continue like this. It´s a real shame.

I don´t know about the JCB but spikes or AC are not the best medicin for a computer. But modern vehicle computers ought to be protected from that, it isn´t that difficult to protect them when they are constructed but as everything else it is probably a matter of costs.

PS, did you know that writing with capital letters are considered the same as shouting?
Volvo EC45 PRO -06
Volvo EC35 -01
MB-Trac 800 turbo
Bigab 10-14 hook lift trailer
MF 3165, Poor Ferguson

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/RobbanxC

Topic author
IANOZ

Post #54 by IANOZ » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:44 am

HI ROBERT, No i dont know much about computer ettique.so i shall keep it in mind from now on.They think it is a faulty alternator ,but can"t get one here now untill monday. It took 4 days to plug the new computer in and replace the alternator this week so who knows what next week brings,apart from more unhappy customers. ian.

innes
Flag: Great Britain

Post #55 by innes » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:03 pm

IANOZ wrote:HI GUYS,I GOT SEVEN HOURS OUT OF IT BEFORE I TOOK IT BACK TO THEM. THEY REPLACED THE ALTENATOR AS THEY SAID IT WAS THE CAUSE OF THE COMPUTER DYING, NOW THE BATTERY IS BOILING DRY AND THE ALTERNATER FAULT LIGHT AND BUZZER ARE GOING OFF THEIR BRAINS . OF COURSE IT DIDN"T DO IT WHEN I PICKED IT UP FROM THEM AND LIGHT AND BUZZER ARE NOT COMMING ON NOW I HAVE TAKEN IT BACK TO THEM .BUT THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO SMELL THE BATTERY ACID. INNES IF YOU ARE READING THIS THEIR TELLING ME THE ALTERNATOR WAS SPIKING AND SENDING AC CURRENT TO THE COMPUTER AND THATS WHAT STUFFED IT. IS THAT RIGHT OR POSSIBLE??? IAN.

Hi Ian,
Bet your feeling suicidal or maybe even murderous,
Yeah its entirley possible, "spiking "is just a pretty loose term to describe an intermittent overload into the electrical circuit of either current (voltage) or power (Amps) usually caused by faulty alt regulator.I'm an engineer not an auto electrician so can only go on my own experiences where I have seen this happen before and it can blow the computer, as I said on a previous reply the computer or processor box should have some protection and I would ask the dealer what this is, how it works and why did it not protect the box from the spiking (I would ask for a written engineers report) you may not get it but you can ask. Also if the batteries are boiling up then either they are knackered or there is a serious overcharge problem. I would have thought and expected the dealer would have thoroughly checked and tested out the new alternator, charge system, batteries, earth system etc before fitting new box, especially with all the trouble and waiting time you had to put up with. Hope the dealer is picking up the tab for all this pissing about
Have some of the amber fluid and keep us posted
All the best ---Innes

Topic author
IANOZ

Post #56 by IANOZ » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:41 pm

hi innes, it is an honor by the sound of it to be allowed the preverlige of being ripped off and stuffed around by expert aumittures. When i went back asking what warranty they gave on their work .he past the buck to the auto electrission like a hot potato.When i suggested if it has stuffed up 2 altenators maybe there is something else causing it .I was told that after the next alternator is put in he will run the machine for an hour and see what it does. maybe i"m dumb but I thought the main reason computers where put in machines was so faullt finding diognoessing could be done. ian.

innes

Post #57 by innes » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:27 pm

IANOZ wrote:hi innes, it is an honor by the sound of it to be allowed the preverlige of being ripped off and stuffed around by expert aumittures. When i went back asking what warranty they gave on their work .he past the buck to the auto electrission like a hot potato.When i suggested if it has stuffed up 2 altenators maybe there is something else causing it .I was told that after the next alternator is put in he will run the machine for an hour and see what it does. maybe i"m dumb but I thought the main reason computers where put in machines was so faullt finding diognoessing could be done. ian.
Ian,
Testing for an hour is not realistic, you got seven hours out of it last time, so I would suggest they gotta test for at least a full shift, I know you get the odd bad alternator now and again but it seems too much of a coincidence to have two go straight away, was the one they fitted new or recon? recon depending who has done them can be iffy.looks like they are gonna stick another one on and hope for the best and maybe have not got to the root of the problem.
Innes

RichardJW~

Post #58 by RichardJW~ » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:50 pm

If the machine still has warranty then in my book the fault wasn't diagnosed correctly in the first instance; asking the customer to pay is just downright cheeky!
Even if it isn't in warranty the repairer must be accountable for his work..... imagine it had caused a fire.

Taking in to account the extended down-time you have experienced, although warranty will not cover this, both the dealer and manufacturer need to step up to the plate and take it on the nose because a combination of long lead time on parts, poor dealer stock and incompetence by the service department all appear to have played a part in this sorry episode.

If this machine is still in warranty then I would suggest you contact the manufacturer's service manager and express you points of view.

innes

Post #59 by innes » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:22 pm

RichardJW~ wrote:If the machine still has warranty then in my book the fault wasn't diagnosed correctly in the first instance; asking the customer to pay is just downright cheeky!
Even if it isn't in warranty the repairer must be accountable for his work..... imagine it had caused a fire.

Taking in to account the extended down-time you have experienced, although warranty will not cover this, both the dealer and manufacturer need to step up to the plate and take it on the nose because a combination of long lead time on parts, poor dealer stock and incompetence by the service department all appear to have played a part in this sorry episode.

If this machine is still in warranty then I would suggest you contact the manufacturer's service manager and express you points of view.

Ian,
I agree with Richard on all points,on your initial post you said it had 2500hrs so I imagine its out of warranty on hours, dont know what JCB/dealer warranty is but the usual is 2000 hrs or one year,however that said you should ask the service manager to pursue a "policy" warranty claim on your behalf, usually its for the parts cost only but in this instance given the hassle you have had they should be making a goodwill gesture to include some extra.

Topic author
IANOZ

Post #60 by IANOZ » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:28 am

HI GUYS, Yes the machine is out of warranty ,The warranty i was referring to was on their workmanship,I got 7 hours hire but it started playing up long before i finshed the job. The problem is the place i got the work done are a new dealership not the one where I bought the machine so as far as they are concerned I pay because its not their problem. the original dealers won"t talk to me about the problems even though it was doing it while still under warranty . They fobbed it off to JCB australia ,who then put it back to the dealers who have done nothing.Most of the feedback i have got from this site has said the 8080 has been a bad machine. I just looked at the calender , IT was seven weeks from when it broke down till they[laughingly] fixed it. ian.

Return to “Compact Excavators”