TLC on an old Kubota KH-007

Discuss compact excavators here

Topic author
AdrianH
Flag: Great Britain

TLC on an old Kubota KH-007

Post #1 by AdrianH » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:03 pm

Hello all;

I treated myself to an old mini/micro excavator, but before I use it to dig the garden I am treating it to some TLC.

The little twin cylinder engine bobs about quite a bit as the engine mounts have failed, so have replacement similar sized units arriving soon.

New tracks to fit, years of muck to remove and the bucket ram to re seal!

I have all but given up trying to get a user or service manual for the machine, they all seem to be in the USA without postage to the UK and web sites do not seem to have them listed even to pay for as when I go to a link the '404' message appears.

So if anyone can help, it would be appreciated.

I have one question I need to ask now and that is of the hydraulic ram end nut.
Ram3.jpg

Ram4.jpg

As above is 27mm metric and I can not shift it, so thought I would ask if it removed in an anti clockwise direction, i.e. is it a standard right hand thread and anyone know how tight they could be?

My small impact is not shifting it so may need to take it elsewhere.

Next question will be another day on the track tensioners.

Cheers

Adrian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by AdrianH on Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeremy Rowland

Re: TLC on an old Kubota KH-007

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:15 pm

Hi Adrian I cannot see why the ram nut would be a left hand thread? But I don't think an air ratchet would look at it; you need a good 1/2" drive bar and socket or better still a 3/4" drive one and give it some welly it should come off okay. Hope that helps.

Jeremy

Topic author
AdrianH

Post #3 by AdrianH » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:44 pm

I managed to shift it eventually today by going direct from air tank outlet to my 1/2 inch impact gun, a few goes and it unscrewed. It was previously I could not see the screw ends, so was wondering about the thread, but sorted.

Thanks for the replay.

Today has been interesting in changing one track, years of neglect on the adjusters, took some time to get to shift and a lot of effort. Still need to do the other side, :arrrrgh:
I need to figure the correct pin spacing for the bucket for these machines, the bucket is not original so I am wondering what the measurements should be.

I know 25mm diameter pins and I also know 100mm between the ears/lugs, but the distance between pin centres is something I need to confirm? I have 85mm at present and wondering if as per original.

It's all good fun.

Adrian
Last edited by AdrianH on Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
AdrianH

Post #4 by AdrianH » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:45 pm

OK got the other track on and also got a 9 inch bucket for the machine, was a matter of searching other model service information, but at least I now know that K008, K008-3 U10 machines have the same configuration for the bucket pins as the older KH-007.

The engine is the same as the Kubota tractor G4200 so I have some information on that, it may help me get an accelerator return spring for it.

Ram seals not arrived yet.

Adrian

Topic author
AdrianH

Post #5 by AdrianH » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:37 pm

Something I had not noticed on the machine were two cracks on the ears on the dipper ram? (hope I got the correct name).

So I ground these out V shaped and welded them up, then use of grinder and flap disc to smooth them out to retain the profile and hopefully not leave any points to start a new crack and we have this sort of thing on both sides.

I must get some Kubota orange at some point.

The digger has now done me about 18 metres of ditch, including lifting some kerb stones dumped under the garden by the builders, a land drain is in and time will tell if that works, but the digger does at least.

If anyone has a pdf KH-21 or KH-007 workshop manual I really would appreciate a share.

Adrian

Jeremy Rowland

Post #6 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:31 am

Nice weld repair there Adrian :thumbup: you may have come across the posts I made about a larger Kubota that cam into my works with a broken boom fork end? I would suppose that it is important to check for cracks on any make or size of digger as they are subject to large amounts of stress.

Jeremy

Steelfab

Post #7 by Steelfab » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:36 am

Hi I purchased a Kubota KH-21 which is the exact same model and looks identical to yours. I have a parts book and manual for the machine and have purchase some new parts for it so I can restore it. It runs perfectly well and has a new pair of tracks on it and just had a new set of buckets made for it. Get in touch if u would like any copies
regards
Julian

Topic author
AdrianH

Post #8 by AdrianH » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:20 pm

Julian;
Sorry for the delay in responding.

I would really appreciate any copies you can provide me, either pdf or paper. The digger is not doing much apart from being parked at the side of the garage, it really must move inside and get repainted as it is a good little workhorse. As my back gets weaker I expect it will get used more in the future.

Please let me know what you require from me by way of money for the copies etc.

Cheers

Adrian

Return to “Compact Excavators”