Checking out a JCB 803

Discuss compact excavators here

Topic author
le.maisonniau
Flag: France

Checking out a JCB 803

Post #1 by le.maisonniau » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:02 pm

Hi guys,
I am going to view a JCB 803 on Sunday with a view to purchase - price is very good and includes a plant-trailor, I am just wondering if there are any hints or tips on what to look for that will give me an idea of its "real" condition. Model is pre 2005 not sure of exact date. how many serial numbers are there and where are they located?
Cheers
John
When you come to a fork in the road - take it :dizzy:

essexpete

Re: Checking out a JCB 803

Post #2 by essexpete » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:40 pm

I don't know any thing about this model specifically except the JCB is generally not as good as some of the other leading brands when it comes to mini diggers.
General appearance, not completely abused and hammered. Have a good look at the tracks for wear and damage.
Check oil and water in right place.
Have it running and place the bucket flat down with the dipper reasonably vertical slowly lift the digger and drop again to see if there is much wear in the slow ring.
Get off (check to see safety lever working) get hold of the top of dipper and rock from side to side.
Next clear bucket off floor and then rock from the bucket. You should be able to see if there is excessive pin/bush wear. You can also see if there is excessive slop in the slew side to side.

Work up to normal engine temperature and work the the thing and make sure that the power and speed does not fall away with everything hot.
Next check the tracking in both directions and 2 speed if fitted. Stop and shunt to see the track brakes are working properly.
I expect others may want to add to this or have different methods.
Good luck

Topic author
le.maisonniau
Flag: France

Post #3 by le.maisonniau » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:50 am

:thumbdown: :arrrrgh:
Hi Guys (essexpete) Guy has gone and sold the JCB even though he promised me first refusal - not a lot else to say really - well not clean anyhow.
Thanks for the response, maybe look for a Taki or kubota instead.
When you come to a fork in the road - take it :dizzy:

kipme
Flag: Netherlands

Post #4 by kipme » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:25 pm

Yanmar/hanix?
would prefer a JCB though :D

Return to “Compact Excavators”