a few broken and repaired attachments

Discsuss demolition equipment attachments here

Topic author
allistairc123

Re: a few broken and repaired attachments

Post #11 by allistairc123 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:28 pm

John Gaunt wrote:Like the other guys Allistair, I'm VERY impressed with your standard of workmanship :bow: :bow:
I'm curious to know what type of MIG wire you use for the hardened steel, presumably special composition rather than the "common'o garden" stuff I get for my home MIG ?
If I have to weld anything fancy, I use INOX DW rods and my stick welder.

just normal mild steel wire, but we dont weld really hard material, not easy a very involved process. we only weld semi hard materials such as hardox plate if you are familliar with it? just requires proper preheating and cooldown . the weld will assume the characteristics of welded material as it dilutes with it. if . to be honest im not technically knowledgeable , but i plan to do courses.

DaveS

Post #12 by DaveS » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:12 pm

John/Allistair,

It's worth remembering that 'normal' MIG wire gives a weld like a low-hydrogen (E7018 type) welding rod as stored in heated conditions and used for higher tensile steels, and therefore 'normal' wire gives a better quality weld strength wise than 'normal' (E6013 type) mild steel electrodes .

I used to do a bit with cored wire, running at around 400 amps from a 600 amp welder! Boy did you feel the heat! :oops:

Dave S.

Topic author
allistairc123

Post #13 by allistairc123 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:18 pm

DaveS wrote:John/Allistair,

It's worth remembering that 'normal' MIG wire gives a weld like a low-hydrogen (E7018 type) welding rod as stored in heated conditions and used for higher tensile steels, and therefore 'normal' wire gives a better quality weld strength wise than 'normal' (E6013 type) mild steel electrodes .

I used to do a bit with cored wire, running at around 400 amps from a 600 amp welder! Boy did you feel the heat! :oops:

Dave S.

thats right, i was told that the mild steel wire in a mig is welded in a low hydrogen environment (the gas shielding).. hence much stronger, my dad also, self taught notised that mig weld was much stronger than mild steel rods, i asked welding expert and he explained this to me.

i have to say, the 7018's are the most beautifull rod to weld with, they have an unbelieveable ability to deal with difficult conditions, they literally seem to suck rust and contamination out of a joint being welded. they are witchcraft lol!

DaveS

Post #14 by DaveS » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:23 pm

Yep, 7018s are the boys, and good positional too, but you need either DC or a good high open circuit voltage on AC. So not for using on a wee 'home' welder! :lol:

Dave. S.

Topic author
allistairc123

Post #15 by allistairc123 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:25 pm

ha ha,yeah, the heat can be quite serious i have experienced much heat in my young days, countless times ive been on fire and burnt my fingers on zips and snibs when stopping to access my mobile phone in pockets!
nothing worse than welder flat out inside a big bucket in summer with full leathers on!!. another thing that shocked me is how loud the mig is in a confined space!, the crackle has gave me tinitus!

Topic author
allistairc123

Post #16 by allistairc123 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:31 pm

DaveS wrote:Yep, 7018s are the boys, and good positional too, but you need either DC or a good high open circuit voltage on AC. So not for using on a wee 'home' welder! :lol:

Dave. S.

many a laugh, i had at someone trying to weld with the hydrogens on the wee ac welder, (ive gone through that learning phase lol)

yeah, they are awesome positional. its funny, one thing i always maintain to novice welders with little or no job prep, is that welding on the flat is more difficult than positional!, a little angle makes all the difference to flowing the flux and dirt out of the weld!

i adore the stick welder, its theriputic almost, i learnt with the stick and im never happier than when someone presents me with overhead and vertical welding jobs to do out side in fresh air with stick! - sad, i know lol

DaveS

Post #17 by DaveS » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:33 pm

Worst I ever had was when prepping a bucket for repair, outside in a quarry, and a machine operator passing called over "Oi, mate, your boots are on fire!" And they were! Well alight!

Funny now, but not at the time! :lol:

I was told early on that "the sucess of a repair relies very much on the enthusiasm of the welder doing the work" and you will realise how true that is. If you're keen it shows! :thumbs_up:

Dave. S.

Return to “Demolition Equipment Attachments”