House to demolish.

Discuss demolition equipment here

Topic author
Scooby
Flag: Great Britain

House to demolish.

Post #1 by Scooby » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:41 pm

I own a house that is to be demolished. 2 storey. 4 bedrooms. 2300 sq. ft. In the country with own land. Would like to keep the hardcore. I have my own 14tn dump trailer & suitable tractor. I also have a 3CX but don't fancy doing it with that.

It's a Victorian house with 3" bricks. Half the tiles are original. Windows all UPVC. Doors aren't that good. No decent fireplaces. Is it worth anything or do I have to pay to get it down. Electrics & water all sorted.

Never done this before so I could do with some advice please.
Six up front .............................means plenty of grunt.

Image Image

jcb4cx

Re: House to demolish.

Post #2 by jcb4cx » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:04 pm

Scooby wrote:I own a house that is to be demolished. 2 storey. 4 bedrooms. 2300 sq. ft. In the country with own land. Would like to keep the hardcore. I have my own 14tn dump trailer & suitable tractor. I also have a 3CX but don't fancy doing it with that.

It's a Victorian house with 3" bricks. Half the tiles are original. Windows all UPVC. Doors aren't that good. No decent fireplaces. Is it worth anything or do I have to pay to get it down. Electrics & water all sorted.

Never done this before so I could do with some advice please.

we did a job in london and a wall had to come down ,yellow stocks ,brick reclaim man came and they did a deal on the wall standing
he took it down by hand ,left all the hardcore ,and paid per 100 bricks ,may pay you to contact someone from your area ,
every village has one , is yours missing you

Topic author
Scooby

Post #3 by Scooby » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:10 pm

Thanks for the reply. I have got a reclamation chap coming to see me but wanted to get as much info. as I could beforehand. He is known for being half sharp and I don't think he's going to be giving much away. :shock:

Image Image

bigkit

Post #4 by bigkit » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:13 pm

The job has a price, less the cost of the salvage. What you pay in the end depends on what value the contractor puts on what he can save and retain. Remember the tiles/bricks may sell for a reasonable sum in the end but it costs time and money to taken them down, stack, move and then sell. If your around Kent/Sussex area I'll give you a price and crush the hardcore.

Good luck. :thumbup:

bigkit

Post #5 by bigkit » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:14 pm

Sorry scoob just seen your location. Not what you'd call on my doorstep! :doh:

jcb4cx

Post #6 by jcb4cx » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:14 pm

Scooby wrote:Thanks for the reply. I have got a reclamation chap coming to see me but wanted to get as much info. as I could beforehand. He is known for being half sharp and I don't think he's going to be giving much away. :shock:

you could always take a sample of your bricks to a reclaim yard ,and see what they want per 100 for you to buy them ;) ,and go from there on price
every village has one , is yours missing you

Topic author
Scooby

Post #7 by Scooby » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:15 am

bigkit wrote:Sorry scoob just seen your location. Not what you'd call on my doorstep! :doh:

That's a shame and I have just amended my location slightly but still no good for us I'm afraid. Is demolition your business or a "sideline" ? If so could you give me a "for instance" as to what it might cost for a firm to come and take everything away then that would give me some idea where to start from ?

Image Image

Topic author
Scooby

Post #8 by Scooby » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:22 am

jcb4cx wrote:
Scooby wrote:Thanks for the reply. I have got a reclamation chap coming to see me but wanted to get as much info. as I could beforehand. He is known for being half sharp and I don't think he's going to be giving much away. :shock:

you could always take a sample of your bricks to a reclaim yard ,and see what they want per 100 for you to buy them ;) ,and go from there on price

Yes, I had thought about that. A slight problem is that I have been delayed by the planners and I want to get cracking on the new place in decent weather and because it's virtually on the same footprint this has to come down first. And fast !! Coupled with the fact that the hardcore is going to be needed for another project on my land it would suit me to get someone in with a proper machine to pick it off and put in my dump trailer.

I say a proper machine but don't know what, ideally, is used for such work.

And another question please. I presume that the inner skin is just commons and that there won't be a cavity in a Victorian house.

Thanks for all the replies.

Image Image

XS650

Post #9 by XS650 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:28 am

Why not get a few quotes from demolition boys . Must say in your situation I'd be very tempted to do it myself. Sure a 3CX could do the job when you see what was achieved in past with little Drotts, but if not hire in a 13tonner for a few days.
If you've got land put all the stuff to one side and get on with the build.
Not all those who wander are lost.

Topic author
Scooby

Post #10 by Scooby » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:08 pm

XS650 wrote:Why not get a few quotes from demolition boys . Must say in your situation I'd be very tempted to do it myself. Sure a 3CX could do the job when you see what was achieved in past with little Drotts, but if not hire in a 13tonner for a few days.
If you've got land put all the stuff to one side and get on with the build.

I'm in the process of getting quotes. I am tempted to have a go and if it was a bungalow I wouldn't think twice but I've got to get close to it with a 180 machine and I am at an age when I'm not as "gung ho" as I used to be. I have got a friend with a JS160 and his lad wants to come and knock it down for me but his Father is even a bit sceptical about using that.

Yes, I intend to stockpile the hardcore at least for the other project unless someone will come and pay me some money for it. The place has got 10 year old UPVC windows in it so I suppose they have to go in the skip.

Image Image

Return to “Demolition Equipment”