Maximixam cement mixers

Discuss construction equipment here

Topic author
thinfourth

Maximixam cement mixers

Post #1 by thinfourth » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:50 pm

I have a Maximixam cement mixer which I think is or some time in the 60s and it is still working and in regular use. It has a old lister diesel which still starts easily.

I have no idea about the Maximixam company but would be interested to find out more.

The other thing is it has cast iron wheels and it is a bugger to move about the site and it has a tendancy to fall over.

I have a set of wider axles off of something or other and a gas axe.

Before I set about the mixer with a gas axe and a welder I think it might be worth finding out if I have the last one in the world that some collector would sell his children for. As I don’t want to wreck a piece of history but equally I don’t want to sell it as it’s a very good machine and I don’t see a modern machine being as good.

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Re: Maximixam cement mixers

Post #2 by FOWLER MAN » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:29 am

Hi Paul,
The Maximixam was quite popular in the 1970s. They were well made and I should think there must be quite a few still about, (probably semi-retired).
All I remember about the manufacturer is that they were an Irish company.
Sorry I can't be more help.
Fred

swe62

Post #3 by swe62 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:16 pm

Maximixams where made by F.O,Brian and Co of Swadlincote the company still exists but no longer makes them,apparently they lasted too long and no one bought new ones, My Dad had several of them,the best one was the 3.1/2t fast towing model it had a retractable axle which moved back from the tow position to mix it had 15 inch wheels and towed superbly, I have towed one of these at 70 mph with no problem, they also made a 2t with hard rubber wheels a good machine but unstable and difficult to move, they also made a cast iron wheeled version 3.1/2 -5t which I still have an example of . most had the Lister LD1 engine and I think the earlier ones had Petter PAZ1s installed. the company also manufactured the Fobco drill and light milling machines which are excellent.

Ian Fletcher1970
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by Ian Fletcher1970 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:08 pm

There's a Fast Tow version (1955) for sale in the classifieds of the latest Classic Plant and Machinery Magazine.

Ian

Return to “Construction Equipment”