Liner site dumper

Discuss construction equipment here

mcnab

Re: Liner site dumper

Post #21 by mcnab » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:10 pm

Ah, do you mean use 10w oil in the 2 caps? How much? Just a drop?

My lister powered mixer(starts first swing) has a 3 setting lever attached to a lanyard, is this the fuel rack? If so, I'll have to check again to see if the dumper has alternative positions on the stop rod (thanks wondered how to stop it).

Anyone any idea on engine model, it's c1966 twin lister, I can get the engine number, is there a site where I can check it against models?

Have oiled the shaft and handleand greased it, slips off nicely now!

martyn williams

Post #22 by martyn williams » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:50 pm

Use 10w in the crankcase,this will help to turn the engine over when starting as its thinner oil.you can also put 10w in the pots for starting,three squirts from an oil can in each pot..But this will bump up the compression,so hold the handle in the correct way. otherwise you will break your thumb.And yes its the fuel rack.Could be a LR2.
Martyn

mcnab

Post #23 by mcnab » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:52 pm

Update: I bought a Lister LR2 manual and it informed me that you pull out the ruel rack and turn it to provide extra fuel for a cold start. I have tried this and now it tow starts a lot easier, but I cannot get it going by hand!

I'm thinking of fitting a starter motor, but no-one can tell me what part will fit!

martyn williams

Post #24 by martyn williams » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:59 pm

I would give it a service,clean fuel tank,put in clean fuel,renew filters and maybe an injector change/service.By putting 10 W oil in the crankcase will make it easier to start it on the handle.Lister engines are usually easier to start than Petter engined machines.You don't need a starter motor on a LR2.
Martyn
Can you hear the injectors "creak" when you turn the engine decompressed? if so they may be ok.

Teddy

Post #25 by Teddy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:18 pm

Hi all
I've just bought a Rough Rider, a 1968 model with a single cylinder engine, its a bit rough and a bugger to start, any one know what sort of engine it is ? I'm a dumper virgin so all/any info would be most welcome.

martyn williams

Post #26 by martyn williams » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:27 pm

Lister and Petter engines were fitted to these dunpers.Should be a data plate on the engine.And the word LISTER on the rocker cover.
A good decoke and an injector overhaul would do it good.
Are you starting it with the rack in excess fuel position.
This time of year use 10W engine oil in the crankcase.
All these things will make it easier to start.
Take a photo of it and post :thumbup:
Martyn

Teddy

Post #27 by Teddy » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:07 pm

I've had a chance to have a better look today, scraped some muck off the engine and found PH1 stamped on a plate so I guess it's a Petter
Thanks for the tips, I had another go at starting it with the handle today but no joy even with a sniff of break cleaner ! It puffs a bit of smoke so I think its trying, maybe I just neede to be 20 years younger !
Now I know what the engine is I'll get myself a manuel andd give it a bit of an overhaul before I cart it off to France.

Julian

Post #28 by Julian » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:12 pm

Teddy wrote:I've had a chance to have a better look today, scraped some muck off the engine and found PH1 stamped on a plate so I guess it's a Petter
Thanks for the tips, I had another go at starting it with the handle today but no joy even with a sniff of break cleaner ! It puffs a bit of smoke so I think its trying, maybe I just neede to be 20 years younger !
Now I know what the engine is I'll get myself a manuel andd give it a bit of an overhaul before I cart it off to France.

My PH1 starts just fine even in zero degrees. On the fuel rack you may/should/could find a max fuel stop that assumes its normal position via gravity, if you swing it up out of the way with your fingers you can manually push the fuel rack to maximum.

One good trick to get it going (so I've been told) is to throw a bucket full of boiling water over the head and barrel, or there's the Bradex Easy Start - but watch that, if it kicks back as you swing it, you'll sprain your wrist or maybe worse :arrrrgh:

Julian.

martyn williams

Post #29 by martyn williams » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:44 pm

Always make sure the starting handle and shaft are lubricated.Saw a nasty accident years ago when a handle stuck on the shaft.It broke the guys arm as he tried to knock it off the shaft when the engine fired up.If well maintained, the Petters are usually a good starter.Clean fuel in the tank,new fuel filter and 10 W oil in the crankcase. :thumbup:
We had around 60 dumpers in the fleet,nearly all Liner.Thank god they were replaced with electric start dumpers.We used to spend hours travelling around the sites starting them in winter time as the operators did not like starting handles. :lol:
Martyn

mcnab

Post #30 by mcnab » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:15 pm

Welcome aboard! Thats 2 Liner dumper owners on here now, we could start an owners club!

Still havent managed to hand start my Lister LR2 version, need a mechanic, nr Leeds Harrogate Skipton to give it an overhaul.

Return to “Construction Equipment”