CABs

Discuss construction equipment here

Topic author
newjcb123uk

CABs

Post #1 by newjcb123uk » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:19 am

Hard to know which title to put this thread under as it effects a whole variety of construction and earthmoving equipment - but I've realised just how much the cab on a machine can make or break the sale, usage, performance and of course safety of a machine.

The cab is the construction mans office and some operators spend more time in them in their lives than they do their bed. What the manufacturers make furnish and design them with can have everlasting effect on the entire machines life. For example take a JCB 3C from the 1970s the cabs in those days were of basic design and although offered the operator some ROP (roll over protection) and basic FOP (fall on protection) its main objective was to shelter the operator from weather elements. Roll on 15 - 20 years later and the machine although off any serious hire projects is still capabe of farm work etc but as we all know the 3C cabs were only good for 10 plus years before they started falling apart with rust - thus jeapordising the entire machines future life. Not many people will consider buying a machine if the cabs falling or ready to fall off - It was a sad fact that many of these machines were neglected and cast aside from continuied operation just because the cab did not offer sufficient protection anymore. It was a major reason why many of these classics ended up on the scrap heap prematurely. Same could be said for the Italian built Hitachi FH machines compared to the EX cabs.

(Hope I'm not too old school folks but the modern stuff is still to come.) In the 1950s when cab protection was starting to become more popular, cabs were usually designed around an already well established machine design which gave the impression that many cabs were just "stuck on" and somewhat of an after-thought. This did make a lot of machines less pleasing to the eye and even helped them into the ugly stakes. As keen plantmen the cab is one of the very first things that we notice and want to sit in when we first approach a machine. look how many times the handle of a new machine is pulled at a construction or agricultural show (even when we probably know it's locked ;) ) We simply want to sit in the cab.

Talking of the ugly stakes remember these ill fitting and less astheticly pleasing cabs - Caterpillar Traxavator- Drott BTD6 - Whitlock Dinkum digger - Any early Japaneese excavator (tight squeeze)- David Brown 900 range, Ford 655C - are a few of my own personal miss-fits where either the cab looked like a borrowed greenhouse or the accessability ment you had to be double jointed. :dizzy: (Muir-hill Cabs are brill tho)

I remember a TV programe in the 1980s called You Bet and remember thinking that I could have appeared as a contestent were my skill would have been to identify an excavator or piece of construction equipment from just seeing a little section or outline of a machines cab. Maybe not a masters degree but skillfull nevertheless. :ugeek: However rather like how all the new supercars all seem to share the same design line I feel the same has happened to cabs on construction machinery. It's like they have all came from the same design studio with nothing standing out as an individual anymore. Inside it's much the same seats, servo controls digital read out instruments, grey grey grey or brown interiors. I'm not expecting white sheepskin rugs or a pimp my ride pink seat with fluffy armrests but a cab that posseses a bit of character and individuality from the masses is were my interest lies.

I do think Hitachi is a good machine but something that put me off was simply the GREY GREY GREY interior and if that wasn't bad enough the outside was grey as well - it's just soooooo boring. :roll: Now forgive my Lawrence Llwellen Bowen (check spezling plseae) rant but as I said at the beginning we spend most of our lives inside these steel boxes and it would be nice if they were interesting even from a visual point of view.

Comfort and common sence features are such a seller to the operator - well placed air vents for aircon and demisting, adjustable armrests and controls, levers that are within easy reach and smooth to use. Good clear all round visability so we can see where we are going and where we have been. Clear and basic instruments that tell us what's happening and nothing too complicated either is appreciated. Windows that fold up neatly and safely without having to be a strongman to open and close them. A nice simple but modern radio/CD player helps get in the day also and consideration for flask, lunchbox and junk storage areas also help us keep the workplace tidy. :thumbs_up:

Most importantly of all and the real dealbreaker is the Throne or I should say seat. Can you believe years ago we were expected to sit on bum shaped piece of metal! it was in the same category (for those older than 21) as the grease proof toilet paper that our schools provided and expected us to perform a good job with :insomnia: But plonk your rear end on a comfy seat that has nice back support and nine times out of ten you have a happy chappy in the cab prepared to do a bit of overtime if necessary. As many of you Know I sell old classic machinery to farmers and self builders and the one thing that I've noticed over the years is spending a bit of money on a decent seat makes more difference to the purchasing decision than how smokey the engine is. :P

The cabin is of the upmost importance now, it defines a machines character and determines dedication of the operator, it also determines on many occasions whether the driver gets to go home alive or not and still does its now basic job - to keep us sheltered in the summer and dry in the winter and most importantly - when the wife does finally kick us out at least we know we have somewhere to stay for the night :lol:

Please use this thread to share your CAB, inside and out :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"A man reaps what he sows"

martyn williams

Re: CABs

Post #2 by martyn williams » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:50 pm

The old track loaders must have the worst cabs,apart from the noise when operating the machine. You risked getting your nadgers caught on the levers as you entered the cab :dizzy:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Martyn Henley
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by Martyn Henley » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:55 pm

Well Chris, you are so right about the "office" ..and i have to say they have come along way since the 1960's, i can remember in 1969 operating a BTD6 with a blade with no cab at all,in winter, on a tip, right on the north Kent coast.. perhaps that what put me off dozers .. for life
The worst cab i have ever had the misfortune to sit in was the first Poclain 60 ..does anybody remember this machine ?.. the one that was like operating a rowing machine, the levers came out of the floor just behind the seat and came up in a 45 degree angle :dizzy: do a nine hour shift in that and you knew that the men on the hand tools had a less tiring time .. i had one of these things for 9 months ..then me guv bought a 60 with servo controls ..pure magic :thumbs_up:
The most comforable machine i have operated was a 2004 JCB JS220 groundworker .. it felt right, as if you was a part of the machine not a bolt on goodie ..even had heated seat :dizzy:

Martyn

Topic author
newjcb123uk

Post #4 by newjcb123uk » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:40 pm

Some more pictures of Cabin fever folks :D

Topic author
newjcb123uk

Post #5 by newjcb123uk » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:19 am

Question - where does a squirrel hide his nuts in the winter? Question - what do you do if his nuts get cold in the winter?
Answer - Make a cab from an old JCB and the squirrel and his nuts will be warm and dry :D

The squirrel predicament applied to anyone driving my Thwaites 6 Tonne dumper and the obvious solution was to manufacture a cosy cab. Take a donor cab from an old JCB 814 and add 12 inches width to it and "voila" you have a place to keep dry and allow the dumper to be driven no matter what the weather. Its proved a real hit and has allowed jobs to go ahead that were once put to the back of the queue :thumbs_up:

The front window opens inwards if necessary and the rear of the cab swings out to allow for engine maintenance etc.

Taking orders now if anyones interested :P

Col 140

Post #6 by Col 140 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:52 pm

removed

Topic author
newjcb123uk

Post #7 by newjcb123uk » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:05 am

Took a trip to Ingersoll Rands factory recently and managed to get into their research and development yard and found this weird looking machine - The cab on this must be a nightmare to keep the windows clean!!! :D (ahem!)

Martyn Henley
Flag: Great Britain

Post #8 by Martyn Henley » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:18 am

Incredible Chris, its like something from Star Wars or even Thunderbirds ... mind you it would make an intresting subject to model :dizzy:

Martyn

nick lamb

Post #9 by nick lamb » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:26 pm

Here are some pics of D8 cabs....
I replaced the Leverton cab this year with this Ottoman cab to comply with new restrictions of one of my regular jobs.It does however completely change the appearance of the machine for the betterIt has also made viable to more contractors and not forgetting it is now alot safer!

Robban_C

Post #10 by Robban_C » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:24 pm

Christopher, that futuristic machine looks very similar to the drilling machines in that film. Hmmm, it seems that I just got Alzheimer. :dizzy:
Bruce Willis goes up in space to save the planet by drilling

Oh, now I remember, it is called Armageddon!
Volvo EC45 PRO -06
Volvo EC35 -01
MB-Trac 800 turbo
Bigab 10-14 hook lift trailer
MF 3165, Poor Ferguson

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/RobbanxC

Return to “Construction Equipment”