Machine Operators

Discuss construction equipment here

Topic author
denick

Machine Operators

Post #1 by denick » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:55 pm

I am trying to understand some of the things I am learning here and on Maskinisten.net.

In the US the person on a piece of machinery is called an "operator" The union name is "operating engineers"
Here there are many men who work by themselves and own 1 or a few pieces and hire them out by the hour or bid on projects. They're called "owner operators" Most everyone else works on the payroll of a company paid hourly and getting benefits if available. Is this the way where you are?

The person on a truck is a "driver" the union is called "teamsters", going back to the days of horse and mule teams. Quite a few owner operators that hire themselves out by the hour. Is this the way?

Robban_C

Re: Machine Operators

Post #2 by Robban_C » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:03 am

Most operators in Sweden are what you call "owner operator". They own their machine and hire themselves and their machine by the hour or at a fixed price for a project. I am one of those. I have my machines and I prefer to work at fixed prices but I am also for hire by the hour.
Volvo EC45 PRO -06
Volvo EC35 -01
MB-Trac 800 turbo
Bigab 10-14 hook lift trailer
MF 3165, Poor Ferguson

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/RobbanxC

Nick Drew

Re: Machine Operators

Post #3 by Nick Drew » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:17 am

Hi Nick,

Here in England a vast majority of Operators work direct for companys and get a lower rate of pay but get a little bit more security :? and holiday pay etc some may get a company van but it all depends on the deal you thrash out in the first place.

Then there are people like myself who work on a self employed basis, you get a better base rate and you can negotiate any other benefits like fuel money, greasing time etc, some pay these things others don't and some don't like paying at all!! But that is the chance you take being self employed.
I also have my own 3 ton mini digger which I use on little jobs that come my way from time to time but to be honest I don't get that much time to do outside work, and to be honest doing work for the general public can turn into a complete nightmare so never really go looking for it ! This could all change of course due to the current economic climate ! :dizzy:

Nick :)

Return to “Construction Equipment”